How much extra would you pay to support your local guitar shop?

tom18

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:43 am

Good decision Dennis and be sure to post a picture of the new 814 after you get it.
Tom

mcfingers

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 pm

I agree with your decision. It was exactly my thinking when I purchased my new 414. Community is really important. As you so aptly pointed out about TG. Sometimes, we loose sight of that.
Enjoy that new guitar,
Steve

MarkM

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Good job Dennis. It always helps to be honest/polite and ask the question of the store. Looks like you got what you wanted and I can't wait to see your next video post with that sweet guitar!!!

MarkM

dennisg

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks again, everyone. This is exactly the way this forum is supposed to work. I couldn't have asked for better responses.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Great thread Dennis, nice solution. Makes a lot of sense to me.

willem

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Hello, i read this whole topic with much intrest and was wondering were it lead to, well it has lead to what i would do,,you will have a relationship with that store and ones they know you it only get better,,when i buy new strings at my store i get alway's something of the price and i don't ask for it,,and when i play there some on some guitars my eyes see they say Hey you get better you learned something,, i said yeah its the COMMUNITY,,..DeNnis your great.... well you all are..

sws626

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi Dennis,

I didn't get around to reading this thread until you'd reached your decision. Like you, the responses reinforced how much I value the community on the forum.

It sounds like this all turned out well and it's great that you're able to support a local shop with whom you hope to build a relationship. I think most good ones would respond similarly. And I definitely agree about the character of Seattle neighborhoods.

-Stuart

izzyhara

Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Good thread. Good resolution. If there weren't people like you to think these things through, all we would have as a shopping choice would be Walmarts. And I personally do not want to live in that world. Izzy

smips65

Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:47 pm

MarkM wrote:
suziko wrote:
Bill- the reason I would justify paying more at a well-run independent store is that you're buying more than just the guitar; you're also buying a relationship with that store and a certain kind of experience. It's like getting your hair cut- you can go to a $15 barber (or have your wife cut your hair the way I do for Eric) that is no-frills, or you can spend $60 and get a scalp massage with some sort of aromatherapy oil, plus have your hair blown-dry and styled, etc. In the end, you're getting a hair cut at both places, and the quality of the hair cut itself might not even be different. But you might be willing to pay more if you want the "pampering" experience. I see it sort of the same way with an independent guitar store (or at least mine). I like going in there, I like how the guitars are arrayed in a shiny row, I like that guitars are clean and in tune, I like that the people know who I am and remember what I've bought. I'm willing to pay a bit more for that experience.
I totally agree with this. You do get more from the small shop that you can't at GC. I guess it all depends on if or how much one is willing to pay for and use those extra services or attention.

MarkM

I would mildly disagree with this...

I shop at my local GC, and they are always willing, patient, and somewhat knowledgable.
It's the time of day that one goes there that makes the difference. Say you get there, right after they open, and the overloaded teenager shredding the crap out of $3000.00
Gibby, with daddy warbucks standing by with a big fat checkbook isn't there.

It's about perspective, they work on commission, they'll go after the money, always.

Yes, it's a big box store, that said, they see a lot of different guitars, manufacturers, models, with warts and all. If, and that's the big issue, if you can spend time with one of the employee's one on one, they do have a wealth of information.

Smaller stores, and I'm not knocking them, have limited exposure to the various makes, and therefore the knowledge. A small store that only sells seagulls, and martins, just don't have a clue what a decently built parker acoustic would offer.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Edit:

Don't get me wrong, I totally support independant owners/shops,

but consider...

I had a friend recently spot a very unique solid body electric in Las Vegas, lives in Michigan, his local GC had that very instrument shipped free of charge, and sold to him for the very same price as the Vegas store was asking.

There are advantages with the big box stores, just a matter of knowing how to work with them. In the end, all profit goes into a single pocket, he doesn't care if a guitar is sold in Vegas or Detroit.

Catman

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Dennis,

Congrats on the 814!

I am in the same position as Chas (and jealous of all you people with options). Here in the Holy Land there are 3 chain-stores, and some independents. The chain stores are usually their own importers and they hang on to their exclusivity like limpets.

For example, Chain A imports Taylor Guitars, and will not supply independents. So I can only get a Taylor at one of their stores. Chain B imports Martin Guitars. They will supply the independents, but NOT Chain A.

So I will never be able to play the 814CE and the JC16 in the same store. Bummer!

Israel being the small place that it is, I have good relations with the managers of my local Chain A and Chain B stores, so I will get a reasonable mark-down. But the starting prices are astronomical compared to the US!

Oddly enough, the staff at the chain stores here seem to be, in general, more knowledgeable and friendly than the independents.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic