DADDAD

frybaby

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Not the first word out of babys mouth, but the tuning. Watched the 4&20 Target preview and got inspired. Tuned one of my guitars to the DADDA tuning Neil talked about,and have been having lot of fun. Not enough in the preview for me figure out the actual song, but that tuning is realy a lot of fun to mess around in. Neil show a two finger position, which work well with lots of different fret possitions. Ive been experimenting with other two finger positions on string other than the ones Neil highlights. Creating lot of new sounds. If I could only put them all together I think I could be a rock star... well maybe a blue man, since my butt has shrunk and I dont look that good in tight leather pants, and my hair line has receded. Has any one else messed with DADDAD ( the tuning that is)

jayswett

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:04 pm

I agree that that tuning has a great sound to it. MarkM posted a video a month or so ago of him just playing around with it. Suite Judy Blue Eyes and 4+20 as you said are in that tuning, which is why I keep one of my guitars tuned to DADDAD at all times. Lots of fun.

BigBear

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:02 pm

I play both those songs in EEEEBE, basically the same modal tuning a step higher. Neil likes the DADDAD tuning because it's easier on the guitar to not tune the strings up. Either way you only have to retune three strings.

If you tune your guitar to DADGAD, a very closely related cousin, you will have entered the realm of Irish and Celtic music and your whole musical world will expand. I am fascinated with this tuning and it's many possibilities. Many of the same, easy two finger and open chords. Some guitarists have dedicated their entire lives to this one, amazing tuning.

Alternate tunings are a wonderful addition to any guitarist's bag of tricks. So much to learn and so little time! :cheer:

frybaby

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Can't wait to try the DADGAD tuning, thanks BigBear, thank you for the info. Avoid the E modal tuning because the Guitar is old and already has a slight belly.
Anyway, while playing around in D modal, it reminded me of a song I heard on the soundtrack from the movie Serendipity. Can't remember the name but always loved the tune. I could tell it was in a special tuning. Sounded a lot like D modal.as I was noodling.
The song writer was a young English folk singer, died a a very early age mid 20's never made it big here but had a loyal following in GB. Volkswagen used one of his songs (Pink Moon) in one of their commercial,(quite some time after his death), which is how I became aware of his music. His name in Nick Drake. His popularity increased here and abroad after the commercial. Some good stuff. Anybody familiar with is music?

BigBear

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Nick Drake was a spectacular talent. He was a master of alternate tunings. Obsessively so. What a sad tale of mental illness, drug abuse and God knows what else. To think what he could have been! I love the darkness of most of his music.

I know his music pretty well. As I recall he only did three albums didn't he? Pink Moon by far the most famous. He wasn't very well know here in the States but his fame has certainly increased since his death. There was an excellent BBC documentary a few (many) years ago about him and his amazing talent and sad demise.

MarkM

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:15 pm

I so love this tuning. You can get so many different sounds that are warm and full with very little effort. Give yourself a few hours with it and you'll be amazed at what you can come up with just on the chords that Neil has provided already. Nothing else to add really. Just wanted to say that I agree that it is fantastic.

MarkM

goldleaf

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:18 pm

I have one of my guitars tuned to DADDAD and just leave it there. I too have been playing around with various sounds you can get with 2 fingers plus I work on 4&20 and Suite Judy Blue Eyes then I'll go back to inventing (to me) new sounds and maybe a song some day. It is lots of fun. I might try the EEEEwhatever that Andy mentioned just to see what that sounds like. Gary

wadestar

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 pm

That's what my babys said when they wanted milk DADDAD

mcfingers

Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:56 pm

frybaby wrote:
Can't wait to try the DADGAD tuning, thanks BigBear, thank you for the info. Avoid the E modal tuning because the Guitar is old and already has a slight belly.
Anyway, while playing around in D modal, it reminded me of a song I heard on the soundtrack from the movie Serendipity. Can't remember the name but always loved the tune. I could tell it was in a special tuning. Sounded a lot like D modal.as I was noodling.
The song writer was a young English folk singer, died a a very early age mid 20's never made it big here but had a loyal following in GB. Volkswagen used one of his songs (Pink Moon) in one of their commercial,(quite some time after his death), which is how I became aware of his music. His name in Nick Drake. His popularity increased here and abroad after the commercial. Some good stuff. Anybody familiar with is music?
Might the song have been Northern Sky?

frybaby

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:12 pm

That it's sir. From the Serendipity sound track. Thank you. Forum folks if you haven't heard the song or give a listen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic