Electric String Winders

mcfingers

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:58 pm

I saw on one of the forums a question about Electronic string winders. I have been looking myself. I found these two on Amazon. I have not tried either one but will probably get one or both. The two winders together total less than $10 US.

Dunlop TurboTune String Winder, Glow Green $6.96

and

Spin Doctor String Winder $2.25

I just saw that shipping is $4.95 for each. Maybe I will look locally.

As Emily Litella would say..... Never Mind.

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 pm

mcfingers wrote:
I saw on one of the forums a question about Electronic string winders. I have been looking myself. I found these two on Amazon. I have not tried either one but will probably get one or both. The two winders together total less than $10 US.

Dunlop TurboTune String Winder, Glow Green $6.96

and

Spin Doctor String Winder $2.25

I just saw that shipping is $4.95 for each. Maybe I will look locally.

As Emily Litella would say..... Never Mind.
I have an old rechargeable battery powered screwdriver I am going to convert should do the trick!

BigBear

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 pm

I just bought an electric string winder kit at Guitar Center for $20 made by Ernie Ball. It has a two way winder and the special adapter to accomodate the tuner knobs. It's really cheap but worked very well the first time I used it.

I can't believe how much faster you can change strings by using one of these. I used the Taylor guitar video and followed their instructions exactly. It worked perfectly. Where have these winders been my whole life? lol! :cheer:

haoli25

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 pm

I got a couple of the Spin Doctors. I'm a 'string changin' fool' now! :laugh:

They do make the job so much easier.

Bill

tom18

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Geez and I just bought the Planet Waves manual winder for $10.

tovo

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:52 pm

BigBear wrote:
I just bought an electric string winder kit at Guitar Center for $20 made by Ernie Ball. It has a two way winder and the special adapter to accomodate the tuner knobs.
I can't believe how much faster you can change strings by using one of these. I used the Taylor guitar video and followed their instructions exactly. It worked perfectly. Where have these winders been my whole life? lol! :cheer:
I have had an electric winder in my sights ever since I watched that Taylor video as well. Remember....we probably don't need it...but the guy who dies with the most toys wins.

Hydroman52

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Executive Summary:

I have the Dunlop Turbo Tune for use in electric screwdriver while changing strings at my workbench, and the Planet Waves Pro String Winder and Cutter in each of my guitar cases for manual use on the road. I am extremely pleased with both.

The LONG explanation for those who have the time:

I have the Dunlop Turbo Tune and it works great. I use it in a Black & Decker AS600 battery operated screw driver that I purchased on ebay for under $13.00 with shipping. The AS600 uses 4 AA batteries and does a good job. I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries so they are rechargeable and don’t lose their charge like NiCad.

The Turbo Tune has a metal shaft while the Spin Doctor looks like it is plastic. Plastic is probably more than adequate, because there isn’t a lot of torque needed to turn the tuner knobs. The Turbo Tune has a handle if you want to use it manually while the Spin Doctor doesn’t seem to have this option. So the Spin Doctor would be limited to use with a power tool . . . . . something that doesn’t fit well in a guitar case. Both have bridge pin pullers; the Turbo Tune’s is in the manual handle while the Spin Doctor appears to be in the head. It would seem that the Spin Doctor’s works best while in the power screw driver, and I wouldn’t be a big fan of working with that apparatus over the top of an expensive guitar in case I got klutzy and dropped it. I do not have a Spin Doctor, but I’m sure I would prefer the Turbo Tune, because of the manual handle.

For a manual unit that fits well in the guitar case, I don’t think a person can beat the Planet Waves Pro String Winder and Cutter. You can find them for under $10.00 and it has the winder, pin puller, string cutter, AND (not many people know about this) a string stretcher all in one unit (they also have a model with a built in tuner (. . . more expensive). I have one in each of my guitar cases and am very pleased with them.

I have also acquired a couple of Planet Waves Headstand/String Changing Stands for about $5.00 each so that I can use the kitchen counter top as a workbench to change strings. They are plastic, but appear to be sturdy enough for my purposes. Otherwise a block of wood with a groove cut into it and felt padding and rubber footies would work just as well.

Hope this helps.

MarkM

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:22 am

I got the Ernie Ball Power Peg for Christmas and I have to say it (or any for that matter) is so worth the money. Changing strings would take me easily 45 minutes from start to completely tuned up and ready to go. Now I'm done in about 15 mintues. I followed that Taylor video as well.

MarkM

jayswett

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:05 am

I must say that I am surpised by this thread. It's hard for me to imagine that an electronic gizmo to turn the tuning nobs more quickly would really be tremendously useful. I need to see this Taylor video that was mentioned.

izzyhara

Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 am

That Taylor string changing video was so helpful, as is another one I found for classical guitars. I poo-pooed the idea of a string winder, until I changed two guitars in one day and hurt my hands and wrists to the point where I couldn't play that day. Well, that is just unacceptable. I have one of the non-electric ones - haven't used it yet so can't comment. My husband, with his garage full of power tools, will jump all over getting me the electric one when he sees it. I do think I will get or create a stand.... it is kind of a pain to do this on your lap.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic