Neil's Pick

frybaby

Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:58 pm

Dear Forum Folk;
Would anyone happen to know what kind of pick Neil uses and the thickness?

wrench

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Dunlop Tortex, Blue, 1.0 mm thick. Neil stresses the use of heavier picks to minimize pick noise.

frybaby

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks wrench, I was just wondering about it becasuse I was strumming a tune Neil strums in one of his videos and it just did not sound right. When I viewed the video the sound from his strumming sounded so well balanced and the string tones so evenly distributed, just well blended may be the best way to explain it. I swithched to a lighter gage pick,(from my normal heavy gauge) and got something closer to his sound. I guessing now a lot of it has to do with the way the pick is held. I have seen Neil explain and demo the pick hold technique, but it's hard to master. Holding it lightly enough to get a smother even,well blended sound, without the pick moving around is a challange. I think I will keep on using my heavy guage and work on the holding technique, rather than switch to a lighter gauge. Do you suppose Neil never uses anything lighter that what you mentioned?

tovo

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm

wrench wrote:
Dunlop Tortex, Blue, 1.0 mm thick. Neil stresses the use of heavier picks to minimize pick noise.
I'm interested in that comment Gary. Does that imply that there isn't a place for a thinner pick? I'm not being smart here it's a genuine question. I understand that as players progress they do tend toward thicker picks, as I am finding now, but is there a time when a thinner pick will be preferable? (I think I'm still on topic, not trying to hijack the thread)

frybaby

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:15 pm

On target Tovo, thanks. Implied the same in my response. Awaiting a reply. Thin pick like thin crust pizza. A time and place for everthing?

wrench

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:17 pm

An hour ago I would have said I never saw Neil use anything but blue Tortex. Then he posts the new TARGET lesson (Drive, by Incubus), and he is using a pink (1.14 mm if it's still Tortex). I have never seen Neil use anything lighter or endorse anything lighter in a TG video.

I am comfortable with heavier picks for melody applications (such as The Sage, which uses hybrid picking) because it makes a sound closer to fingers, and adds some control because the pick doesn't flex. The downside (if you want to call it that) of using the heavier pick - you must position it properly and hold it VERY loosely.

I find that lighter picks are louder and brighter, but force me to use poor holding technique under heavy strumming. I cannot hold a light pick with the proper technique and strum heavily because the pick is too flexible, and it just goes flying. Neil is adamant about avoiding thin picks, and now I understand why for melody work, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use a heavy pick for heavy strumming.

frybaby

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:14 am

The simple answer must be 1. Practice,Practic,Practic. 2 Experience.
Check back with you guy on this one in a year or two.

TGSteve

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:10 am

I've definitely gravitated more and more towards heavier picks over the years, but I think thin ones still have their place here and there. For example, I don't think you could get the sound Cat Stephens got on Wild World with anything but a fairly thin pick.

AndyT

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:05 am

Steve,

I agree with that. I can hear the song and I can hear the pick noise. I'm sure he planned it that way its so obvious now that you mention it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic