Traveling with an acoustic guitar on a plane

fkadi

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I will be traveling overseas (Europe) and I wanted to ask and get advise on the best way to take an acoustic guitar with me.

Is it safe to check-in the guitar or would it be possible to take on as carry on luggage?
Presuming it is in a hard case.

I would appreciate anything that can help.

Thanks,

Fadi

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Here's the dilemma fkadi: The hard case will be placed in the hold they won't normally allow that in the cabin as it doesn't fit in the overhead bins. The soft case does but sometimes the airline can be a pain and say it has to go in the hold, especially if the cabin is very full. So then you have to put it in the hold in a soft case... not the best move¨I have just replaced my case with a gigbag and take it on board into the cabin with me. Worked ok travelling to Spain at Christmas time.

dennisg

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:45 pm

Whether or not your guitar will be allowed on the plane is entirely at the whim of the gate agent. With that in mind, I will never trust my guitar to the baggage handlers nor do I want to risk that my gig-bagged guitar will be allowed on the plane. I've solved the problem by buying a Yamaha Silent Guitar, which is a travel guitar that can easily fit in a plane's overhead compartment. Aside from its smaller size, it also provides the added benefit of being able to rock out in my hotel room with all the sound going through my headphones. I was very skeptical when I first heard about this guitar, but after trying one in a store, I was blown away by how great it sounds and how playable it is. It's really a great solution for travelers.

fkadi

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the quick replies.

Actually the thing is I will be traveling to NYC and I was planning on buying myself a new guitar from there so although the suggestion about the travel guitar is great but in my case I would need to carry the regular guitar.

Its confusing.....

but I presume nobody would recommend checking it in. And rather risk it with a soft gig bag as a carry on.

Fadi

BigBear

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:57 pm

Fadi- another option to consider is ship your guitar to your destination by FedEx or UPS. Both do a great job protecting delicated things. I've shipped and received guitars this way for years without a single mishap. Unlike the airline baggage handlers, UPS and FedEx seem to care.

Good luck! I also like Dennis' idea about the Silent Guitar. I need to look into that myself!

Cheers! :cheer:

fkadi

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Yes, Shipping it sounds like a good idea I will look into that.

Thanks guys.

Fadi

dennisg

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:21 pm

In your case, I think shipping it is a great option. Guitars are damaged and stolen by baggage handlers too often to every allow me to check a valuable guitar on an airplane. My guitar is worth whatever it would cost to ship it rather than risk trusting an airline with it.

d_dog

Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:42 pm

I suggest you watch this to help you make your decision.

dennisg

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Damian,

Thanks for posting this video. After I saw this several months ago, I decided then and there never to check my guitar as baggage.

Chasplaya

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:22 pm

There is a very good article in April issue of Acoustic Guitar on this very topic.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic