Looking for a new guitar - like I really need another one......

haoli25

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:53 pm

Great advice for you here MJ. As they said, do your research and play a LOT of guitars, all different makes and models. Buy the one you keep coming back to. When you find the right one your fingers and ears will know it.

Bill

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks everyone. It looks like I need to look for something in the Grand Auditorium/Grand Symphony size, with rosewood or similar wood. Now it will be a matter of test driving, which is awkward for me being left handed. I have to play righties upside down, or try to play right handed, which is very laughable. It would be sooooo nice to be able to walk in and just pick something up and try it out the way I would be playing. I'll keep you posted as I start and go through the process.

Cheers!

J

dennisg

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Grand Auditorium is, by far, Taylor's most popular size. I imagine it's that way for other manufacturers as well. Sorry about the left-handed stuff. That would be a drag.

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:41 pm

dennisg wrote:
Grand Auditorium is, by far, Taylor's most popular size. I imagine it's that way for other manufacturers as well. Sorry about the left-handed stuff. That would be a drag.
Thanks Dennis. I think the Grand Auditorium size is just comfortable for most. Fits easily while sitting or standing. As far as the left handed business.... story of my life. Guitars, golf clubs, hammers, screwdrivers........ :woohoo:

MarkM

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:50 pm

MJ,

When I had serious GAS a few weeks ago (well still do but for another guitar now) I came across these which I though had some great info. These are from a Taylor Road Show and go over exactly what we are discussing. Apply the shapes and tone woods to any guitar.

Shapes

Tonewoods

Expression System (electronics)

Hope this helps.

MarkM

dekotaj

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:05 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Great advice for you here MJ. As they said, do your research and play a LOT of guitars, all different makes and models. Buy the one you keep coming back to. When you find the right one your fingers and ears will know it.

Bill
This is all true,I was looking at the breedlove when i bought my martin.Good price on the breadlove.Might try one if your shopping around.

Kevin

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:13 pm

Mark:

Sweet clips! Thanks for sharing these. It was nice to hear the explanations and some playing to go along with it.

Love this site!

J

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:14 pm

dekotaj wrote:
haoli25 wrote:

Bill
This is all true,I was looking at the breedlove when i bought my martin.Good price on the breadlove.Might try one if your shopping around.

Kevin
Thanks for the tip. My local store carries a couple of models, but mostly Martin and Taylor. I might have to make a trip to Hollywood here in the next week or so to check out some of the bigger stores.... :)

dennisg

Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
dekotaj wrote:
haoli25 wrote:

Bill

Kevin
Thanks for the tip. My local store carries a couple of models, but mostly Martin and Taylor. I might have to make a trip to Hollywood here in the next week or so to check out some of the bigger stores.... :)
Make sure you check out McCabe's in Santa Monica.

Lavallee

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:01 pm

MJ, great thread. Not that It will help you but since I travel a fair amount, I should visit those guitar stores, instead of working in the hotel room. This way I will be ready for the next GAS.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic