FlatPick Query

wrench

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Frybaby,

You may not be positioning your fingers to hold the plectrum properly. Fold your index finger far enough that its top section is parallel to your thumb, then position the plectrum such that its broad end butts up against the lower section of your index finger. This will prevent rotation. Then lay your thumb down right over the top section of your index finger. You can hold the plectrum quite loosely in this manner, and it will stay in place as long as you keep your index finger tucked in fully. It feels odd at first, but it works.

frybaby

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:16 am

Wrench, and all, thanks for the suggestions. I have tried altering the pick in the past.
I used a pointy object to score the pick criss cross pattern, I use a nail and poked holes in the pick, used a fingernail file to rough up the surface. All work to some degree. After reading Andy idea about the TreadSafe tape, I looked around the homestead and found some double sided adhesive tape, not exactly TreadSave,but I gave it a try.
it worked but the tape is the type the is made of white spongy material, so it affected the thickness of the tape so it felt a bit awkward but it worked, it stuck to thumb and index finger. I am thinking however, anything you stick to the pick may affect the sound...maybe not. I have a friend who once played professionally and he use to glue a red rubber washer to his pick. I try the TreadSafe tape, if I can get a small piece.
But being a purest at heart, and figuring the pros (like Neil and other) probably do not use such things,so foung Wrench's suggestion. I had the feeling something incorrect with my holding techique. I am having trouble visualizing Wrench's explaination, but am working on it and will try to improve the grip on my pick. Will also experment with other suggestions.

fortdick

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Found some Gorilla Snot at Wildwood Music in Eureka, Ca. It is basically a resin based compound that makes you fingers tacky. That, along with a triangle pick works for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic