Question regarding tuning a nylon string guitar

jayswett

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Recently, I managed to acquire an old (1973) nylon string guitar as I would like to play Mr. Garcia's song. I changed the strings, and have found that the new nylon strings go out of tune very quickly. Is this normal for new nylon strings? I don't believe they are slipping on the tuning peg, and I suspect that perhaps, as new strings, they stretch to some degree. Any thoughts?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Yes Jay, that's par for the course with nylon strings in my experience. It will be like that for the first couple of times you pick up the guitar. After about 2 days should be ok. I guess they stretch more than steel.

kaless134

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Nylon strings do stretch quite a bit....give them some time..They will finally tune true.......kaless134

michelew

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Jay - you need to tune them constantly for about a week and then they settle down and hold their tune well. You can actually stretch them by hand a little if you want to speed the process up. You can do that by pushing your thumb down on the string (towards the ground), start in the middle and then move your thumb up the string doing the same action and then down. Playing them vigorously a lot for the first week probably helps too. But, expect to tune them a lot. When I put the strings on my Yamaha G50A I tuned the guitar every time I was near it at first.

Have fun. I'm really looking forward to hearing your version of Irish Dance.

Michele

Catman

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Nylon strings do stretch more than steel, but the three unwound ones are very slippery.

It is very important to restring correctly. This may help:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPAGES/Musicia ... cstr1.html

David

dennisg

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:13 pm

Back when I had a nylon string guitar, I had a sure-fire solution to that problem that I used every time I changed strings:

In a clean 12-ounce glass, mix:

3 ounces of Kamchatka Vodka
5 ounces of Snappy Tom tomato drink
3 drops of Tabasco sauce
1 squeeze from lemon wedge
Stir with celery stick, then drink until glass is empty

Yep, used to fix that pesky tuning problem every time.

jayswett

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:21 pm

dennisg wrote:
Back when I had a nylon string guitar, I had a sure-fire solution to that problem that I used every time I changed strings:

In a clean 12-ounce glass, mix:

3 ounces of Kamchatka Volka
5 ounces of Snappy Tom tomato drink
3 drops of Tabasco sauce
1 squeeze from lemon wedge
Stir with celery stick, then drink until glass is empty

Yep, used to fix that pesky tuning problem every time.
Yeah, that sounds like it will work. I'll try it tonight!

jayswett

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:24 pm

Catman wrote:
Nylon strings do stretch more than steel, but the three unwound ones are very slippery.

It is very important to restring correctly. This may help:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPAGES/Musicia ... cstr1.html

David
Rats. I should have looked at that before I changed them. Live and learn, I guess. Thanks for the link. I'll do it right next time.

haoli25

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Damn Jay, I was going to comment, but Dennis has the perfect solution!!! :laugh:

Actually, when I change out my nylon strings I tune it a half-step high and leave it that way for about a week. After that, they will be okay...or, as okay as nylon strings ever get.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic