Yamaha Silent Guitars... How good are they?

NKenny

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:00 pm

I had one That I purchased from GC for 499, with their 15% off coupon. I ended up returning it and put that money towards my Taylor 314 CE. They do sound fantastic through the headphones, but as others have said through an amp so,so. I think they are cool the way they break down, although one guy thought I was carrying a shotgun. If you travel a lot or need privacy practicing and can afford it, go for it. Great conversation piece.

Have a great day Kenny

mcfingers

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Good to know, Thanks Kenny. My main purpose for acquiring one is for quite practice after my wife goes to sleep. Maybe, I am just being extravagant. We'll see.

Thanks again

coomba

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:51 pm

G'day All
I am a bit confused with the silent guitar as I have not seen won, I have a couple of dumb questions.
When they say silent does that mean it makes no sound when not amplified? I mean does it produces less sound than say a standard electric when unplugged?

Are the strings standard acoustic strings and tuned to the same tension ?

Is the neck the same as your acoustic (dimensions)?

Is the feel of the guitar the same as your acoustic?

Should it be used with and acoustic amp ?

Tony does this also mean you play an electric Guitar :P
also Tony I know you recently purchased one If I could be so rude how much did it set you back including delivery from US. Aus dollars. ?

I am interested ! as one of the main reasons I play my strat is so I don't annoy the boss,don't get me wrong I like my electric but because of this I don't get as much acoustic practice in.

Hope you guys can shed some light.
Cheers
Scott

dennisg

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:02 pm

To an observer, an unamplified Silent Guitar would sound like an unamplified electric guitar. The neck is

The neck is a few frets shorter than a typical acoustic guitar. I actually find the guitar a little easier to play than my acoustic.

I've only seen it used with an acoustic amp, but I don't see why you couldn't use it with an electric.

I'll let Tony answer the personal money questions.

tovo

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:34 pm

dennisg wrote:

I'll let Tony answer the personal money questions.
Scott I'll send you a PM on the issue.

AcousticAl

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:14 am

I've put up a few student review vids of me playing my YSG. I do enjoy it for all of the reasons listed by Dennis and Tony. My main reason to get it was to practice later at night as well.

Scott- you plug your headphones directly into the body to hear it. It also has an aux-in so you can jam to your mp3's or whatever you want. You use the YSG as a mixer.

The guitar is a bit smaller (size and neck) than my Fender acousitc- it has more frets. 22 vs. 20. The frets are closer together on the YSG- fingers are squished a bit on some chords, but you get used to that.

I do prefer the sound of a real acoustic, but the YSG serves its purpose very well.

mcfingers

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks Al, I have seen your videos and that's one of the reasons I became so interested.
Tomorrow my wife and I are making a trip down to Sacramento to see our daughter. She and my wife want to go shopping (Wedding day is coming in Oct). As much as I would like to shop for girly shirts and dresses, I will be spending as much time as I can in the Guitar Center checking out the YSG, and as many other guitars, I CAN'T afford, as my fingers will allow. :cheer: Sounds like a good day, doesn't it?

izzyhara

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:42 am

So my practicing doesn't bother my husband, so the YSG has come off my G.A.S. list for now. Whoever else buys one must report in.... Still think it is such a great idea, and IF I start traveling a lot, it will go back on my list. Thanks again for the thread. B)

mcfingers

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Well, I made my trip to see my daughter and her fiancee. While my wife and daughter went shopping for girl stuff they dropped me off at Guitar Center so I could check out the Yamaha Silent Guitar. When I asked the sales clerk, a really nice guy btw, I they had one he gave me a puzzled look and answered, "What's that?" Aarrrrgh! After I explained what it was he said, "That seems really cool, I like to see one too." Needless to say, I did get to check one out. Instead I play some nice higher end Martin's, Taylor's and Gibson's. That was good too because I came away feeling that the Taylor 414ce ltd. I just bought played better than any of them. Yeah me.
I was going to also check out a PreSonus firebox mixer but guess what? They didn't have any of those in the store either. They did give me more information than my head could hold about the mixer, it's capabilities and a ton of other information about microphones so that was good. Anyway, to use an indelicate metaphor,I think my GAS has passed for now.

Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic