Is it possible to use my computer as an amp?

bethroe56

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 am

I have a traveler guitar. It is a silent guitar that is designed to be used with either headphones or an amp. I would like to be able to plug it directly into the computer so that I can record and/or don't have to use headphones all the time. I really don't want to buy an amp if I don't have to as I use the traveler for practice and road trips and I would rather put the $$$$ toward another (apparently 4 guitars are not enough)guitar instead. thanks
beth

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:45 am

Hi Beth,

I do exactly what you're describing with my Silent guitar. I take the 1/4 inch guitar line out- then go to a MicroBR (effects box)-- then come stereo mini out and into my computer.

The question is- can I go direct from guitar to computer? I'll do a test for you to see if I can bypass the MicroBR. I don't see why not.. I have a cable that's 1/4inch on one end and stereo mini on the other. Will report back..

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:25 am

As I thought- the answer is yes. Just go direct from your SLG to your computer. Use a 1/4"mono (guitar) to stereo mini cable (computer).

The ends look like this (link).
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMP1

Music Junkie

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:28 pm

Nice info Al! Also, there are free bits of software out there with a quick google check that will give you some effects right on your computer without the need for the MicroBR or other box (although the MicroBR is awesome, love mine).

Jason

bethroe56

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks, Al, got the cables and I am up and running. That was eeeeeeasy and exactly what I need. :D

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:32 pm

bethroe56 wrote:
Thanks, Al, got the cables and I am up and running. That was eeeeeeasy and exactly what I need. :D

Glad to help. Now let's see a your videos.

:)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic