Help me buy an electric-guitar amp

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Good luck Dennis! Let us know what you decide on, and what you like and dislike about it. Yes your inference is correct. Although an amp might be great for both a Strat and your T3, it will certainly be a different tone out of the two. By the time you throw in hollow body verses semi-hollow body verses solid body and then number and types of pick-ups, you can see how things can vary. My Tom Anderson is a hollow body (without the openings as in yours) and I can get some great hard rock sounds out of it, but what interested me was the softer tones and more bluesy/jazzy possibilites. Most of all, remember to have fun with it!

J

Catman

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:58 pm

dennisg wrote:
The second thing I learned -- and I really have to thank smips for this -- is to become more educated...
And, by golly, this sort of education is fun!

David

goldleaf

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Dennis, I have a Roland 30 Cube amp that has been described in earlier posts and it rattles my windows if I want it to and has lots of sound choices, but I really wanted to say what a beautiful guitar you bought/ w wammy bar and all. When I was at the Taylor factory I saw a guitar in their tobacco sunburst, if I ever buy another guitar thats what it will be. Gary

dennisg

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks very much, Gary. Deciding between Tobacco Sunburst and Honey Sunburst was agony, and I drove my wife nuts with my dithering about it. But one thing I learned on the Taylor tour is that the application of colors is done by hand so that each of the guitars will look unique. I love the Honey SB color but I saw a few guitars in that color that didn't thrill me because the contrasting color around the edges was put on a little too thin, rendering the guitar almost entirely yellow. So I figured my odds of getting a great-looking guitar were better with Tobacco SB.

My thought process. More than you wanted to know.

I'll take a look at the Roland Cube. I love their acoustic amps.

goldleaf

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Dennis, I remember seeing how they spray the clear finish on the guitars by machine, but they explained that the sunburst color was one of the things that is still done by hand. I think you made an excellent choice. I didn't have s second thought when I saw the tobacco sunburst, that was it. I could see how that could happen though. That's pretty funny, probably not for your wife though. Gary

JHall

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Check out the Line 6 Spider Jam. I bought this amp and have had a blast jamming out with the backing tracks... so many different styles! Go to the Line 6 site and read about it! It's WAY more than just an amp... it's a great way to have fun while practicing.

John

smips65

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:36 pm

B)

Dennis, just glad to be of help.

Another quick thought, when you drag that poor old rag of a git into guitar center, remember to play around with the different settings. I'm confident that you know what they are, and do. (if you aren't exactly sure, just ask, I'll take you aboard the Starship Enterprise, and warp to another star sytem in this electric/amp universe).

Happy hunting.

:)

Jeff

sws626

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi Dennis,

Did you settle on an amp? I would have thought a simple Gibson GA-6 would be a nice choice to start with, but was disappointed to see this had been discontinued. Other than the Fender Champ 600, which frankly seems a bit lame, I don't see many low-wattage clean tube amps on the market.

Any other suggestion from others? I'm currently leaning towards a Fender Blues Junior or Princeton Reverb. As Jeff suggested, I'd tackle the effects separately.

-Stuart

dennisg

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Stuart,

Funny you should mention this right now. I had bought a Line 6 Spider IV 30-watt amp, played with it for about a week and then returned it because it had a wonky power cord that kept disconnecting itself and also had an odd hum that would go away only when I touched the strings. It was an inexpensive amp, and all along I knew it was going to be an interim step -- a learning experience -- in my understanding of electric guitars. I thought about it for a week, then decided not to go back into the world of digital modeling amps. Instead, I ordered a little Bugera Vintage tube amp and a Digitech RP155 effects pedal. I won't always use the effects pedal with the amp -- and, to tell you the truth, I won't always use the amp with the effects pedal, since the pedal has a headphone jack. Anyway, in my quest to learn to walk before I run, this seems like a sane step #2. Thanks for asking.

sws626

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:52 am

Thanks for the update, Dennis.

I've been looking at the following. After playing a few of the amps of this sort, I'm probably going with the Blackheart BH5. For recording, I'll mostly mic it with my Shure Beta 57A into the Zoom H4n recorder.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic