Guitar Storage

Catman

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:20 pm

My problem is not that my wife objects to me spending money on guitars B). What she objects to is the space they take up. So, if I want to satiate my GAS, I need creative ideas for guitar storage.

Hanging the guitars on standard wall hangers is not an option, as I want to keep them in their cases most of the time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

goldleaf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:27 pm

David, I'm right there with you our office room has guitars, in their cases somewhat stacked in the corner, taking up much room. My wife as the main clean the house person is not happy with this situation and I an not either. I had thought of building a 2 level rack of some sort to set my guitars in but, that is as far as I have gotten. Thanks for bringing this up it is a real concern for those of us who don't have a room for our musical instruments. Gary

dennisg

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:35 pm

David,

Is the reason you want to keep them in cases because of the humidity issue?

goldleaf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Dennis, I know you wanted to know why I wanted to keep my guitars in their case so I'll just tell you so you don't have to bother to ask. Humidity is a concern of mine & If they were out of the case I would double the space needed to keep the guitars and cases apart. BTW thanks for introducing "Junk" a while ago, I'm still working on the standard tuning version, what a great song and job you did of playing and singing it & introducing it to me. Gary

dennisg

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:02 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Dennis, I know you wanted to know why I wanted to keep my guitars in their case so I'll just tell you so you don't have to bother to ask. Humidity is a concern of mine & If they were out of the case I would double the space needed to keep the guitars and cases apart. BTW thanks for introducing "Junk" a while ago, I'm still working on the standard tuning version, what a great song and job you did of playing and singing it & introducing it to me. Gary
I'm glad you're enjoying "Junk", Gary. I hope you post it at some point -- I'd love to hear someone play it with standard tuning.

goldleaf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Dennis, I hope to post it some day but I find the barre cords and finger picking the way Neil plays it very difficult. I try to practice if 20 or 30 minutes every time I practice hoping that it will come naturally some day. I'm beginning to wonder though if there is not a basic flaw in my left hand position? Gary --- David, sorry for stealing your post. Back to how do you contain a half dozen guitars in their cases without taking up most of a room.

wadestar

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:02 am

Who in this music world wants to store a guitar? does not make sense to me unless it is an I give thing? Don't give up this is the best insterment to learn. Plus nice to look at so why store?

wadestar

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:07 am

Trust me if you love guitar it will be there long after your wife is! Someone had to say it don't hang me.

Catman

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 am

Dennis, I am not too concerned about humidity. I am (or rather my wife is) more concerned about the total space needed for cases and guitars as Gary pointed out.

Wade, language issue here. I need to store some of my guitars just as a matter of practicality. I don't mean out-of-home long-term storage, if that is what you thought. I mean compact-as-possible storage in the spare room which already has a drum-kit (not mine), a keyboard, a spare bed and a large bookcase, so all guitars will be available for playing at all times!

I keep 2 guitars on stands in the living-room in a spot that is out of the travel lines, and so safe from collisions. I can sometimes get away with leaving a third one on the rarely used recliner. But the cases for these guitars will still have to go in the spare room.

Chasplaya

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:27 am

Catman wrote:
Dennis, I am not too concerned about humidity. I am (or rather my wife is) more concerned about the total space needed for cases and guitars as Gary pointed out.

Wade, language issue here. I need to store some of my guitars just as a matter of practicality. I don't mean out-of-home long-term storage, if that is what you thought. I mean compact-as-possible storage in the spare room which already has a drum-kit (not mine), a keyboard, a spare bed and a large bookcase, so all guitars will be available for playing at all times!

I keep 2 guitars on stands in the living-room in a spot that is out of the travel lines, and so safe from collisions. I can sometimes get away with leaving a third one on the rarely used recliner. But the cases for these guitars will still have to go in the spare room.
Go see Mr nice bank Manager get a loan build a music room for the exclusive use of your guitars.

Serious though there are several custom stands available for multiple guitars or alternatively look for plans to build your own, I have seen them made from timber and also the plastic pipes for plumbing with foam wrapped round the pipes for added protection. Google guitar stands you'll find plenty of options and plans

I'm fortunate in the present house I have my own room, but in the past it was an issue and I didn't have as many guitars then, I had one in its case under the bed, and one in its case in the walk in robe and another out and on a stand handy for playing. In my room I now have there are 6 of my guitars (one at work)and my stepdaughter has 4, also a keyboard and computer desk, this had been a bedroom so it has a double wardrobe for all the cases. I guess I'm lucky I still have one wall left which could accommodate another 3 guitars (Iwish)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic