Cutaway

dennisg

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:04 am

leeson wrote:
All great points. Though, I can't imagine buying a guitar without playing it. I can't even decide when I do play it!

Bill
Taylors are incredibly consistent from one guitar to another. But if you absolutely insist on playing the guitar before you buy it, then that eliminates custom, mail-order, and eBay as avenues to pursue.

The real sticking point for you is the cutaway. If you were willing to forego that, you'd save a couple hundred bucks (it costs more to make a cutaway) and have a million options.

BigBear

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 pm

dennisg wrote:
You knew it had to be either me or Bear.

You'll almost never find an off-the-shelf model made as a cutaway that doesn't also have electronics. But don't despair. Taylor is quite happy to work with your dealer to make one. If you decide you want a Taylor, go to your dealer and find the model you want. You can then have your dealer order a new one from Taylor without the electronics. This kind of modest customization is done all the time with Taylor.

Hope this helps.

Bill- Dennis is absolutely correct about Taylor being very helpful in getting the exact guitar you want. They make some 80,000 guitars per year so that is no stretch for them.

However, I was recently told by a former Taylor dealer that Taylor, and perhaps other companies, has a real glut of guitars due to the weak economy. So they are really discounting some of their models. Check out some of the big-box retailers like Guitar Center and see if they have the model you want regardless of the electronic package. You may find the model you want with electronics cheaper than custom ordering. My experience with custom ordering is you don't get any discounts, and usually pay more (full retial plus), than off the shelf.

And Bill is correct also. It is really, really fun to play your acoustic guitar thru a small amp (he and I, and I think Dennis too, all have Roland solid state amps and I love the little thing!). You can always add a pickup later but it's also nice, especially with Taylors, to have it factory installed.

Good luck and happy hunting! :cheer:

tobman

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:22 pm

Don't wait, jump, now, get a Taylor. ;-)

frybaby

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:09 am

I love my Taylor 514C cutaway. Some say most acoustic players don't need one cause they they dont play too often that far down on the neck. But when you do, and you will you will be glad its there. Lots of different cutaway styles,but Taylor Grand Concert body style has the sexiest cutaway on the marked in my opinnion.
Bottom line though is the sound, you do not want to experience buyers remourse. Pick the body style cutaway you like best, Play a bunch of differnet guitars, take a friend, have him play several while you listen. Eyes closed no cheeting, Eye candy, or precieved notions about brand, can play nasty tricks. Have fun take you time. Guitars like pets, become part of the family.
Frybaby.

wiley

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:03 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic