Cutaway

leeson

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 am

I am slowly dipping into the new guitar market and I want to get a cutaway but I don't have any need for amplification since my future on the stage is bleak. It seems like all the guitars with cutaway bodies (florentine not withstanding) are acoustic electric. Do I have to pay for all the electronics just to get a cutaway? Thanks.

Bill

haoli25

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 am

Bill not all cutaways have electronics. It is certainly easy enough to find one without the electronics package. Although, you may like to have the the electronics later on. Even if you are just playing for your own enjoyment, you can add a small Roland amp and use the onboard effects package with your acoustic cutaway. It is actually a lot of fun to play around with.

other Bill

RicksPick

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Bill

Sure Dennis will be along shortly
As he gave info regarding Taylor's with and without electronics (cutaway's)
Not sure witch thread though
So guess the answer is yes no.
RicksPick

Or Bill
lol

dennisg

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:55 am

You knew it had to be either me or Bear.

You'll almost never find an off-the-shelf model made as a cutaway that doesn't also have electronics. But don't despair. Taylor is quite happy to work with your dealer to make one. If you decide you want a Taylor, go to your dealer and find the model you want. You can then have your dealer order a new one from Taylor without the electronics. This kind of modest customization is done all the time with Taylor.

Hope this helps.

MarkM

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Bill,

I don't think this one has electronics. Beautiful guitar.

http://www.guitarrodeo.com/taylor_detai ... &series=PP

MarkM

leeson

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Excellent.
thank you all for your responses.
I would love a new Taylor.

Bill

goldleaf

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Bill, you are right that most of the acoustic cutaway guitars do come with electronics. Not quite sure why they don't offer more choice. You of course can get custom guitar built or Taylor will make you a nice guitar with cutaway and no electronics as Dennis mentioned BUT since there are so very many acoustic cutaway guitars & most all have electronics, and if, as you said "do you have to pay" for the electronics, you will find it much easier to find a better deal on a new acoustic w/ cutaway & electronics since there is a bunch of them made and dealers just waiting to sell you one. If you want a custom order, you will pay for it and not have electronics to boot. So if price is your issue you are almost forced to get the electronics, especially if you want a wide choice of guitars and types of wood & quality. Also the big bagaboo, you won't be able to play it until you have already bought it. You don't have the chance to compare side by side which many of the members on TG say they would never buy a guitar without playing it. Of course if there is a flaw w/ a new guitar you order it will be fixed or exchanged but that is the same with online buying. Gary

dennisg

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:32 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Bill, you are right that most of the acoustic cutaway guitars do come with electronics. Not quite sure why they don't offer more choice. You of course can get custom guitar built or Taylor will make you a nice guitar with cutaway and no electronics as Dennis mentioned BUT since there are so very many acoustic cutaway guitars & most all have electronics, and if, as you said "do you have to pay" for the electronics, you will find it much easier to find a better deal on a new acoustic w/ cutaway & electronics since there is a bunch of them made and dealers just waiting to sell you one. If you want a custom order, you will pay for it and not have electronics to boot. So if price is your issue you are almost forced to get the electronics, especially if you want a wide choice of guitars and types of wood & quality. Gary
Gary,

Right now dealers will make just about any deal that assures them of a profit. I've bought two brand-new Taylors in the past month, and that's been my experience. So I'm not sure I'd be so quick to dismiss the custom route. I'd at least investigate it first.

Let's use some hypothetical numbers. Let's say a new Taylor guitar (model X14ce) retails at your local dealer for $2500. The Expression System electronics add about $500 to the retail price. So if you got that guitar w/o the electronics, it should theoretically sell for $2000 -- it requires no extra effort on Taylor's part to NOT install electronics. I would ask the dealer if he's willing to take $1800 for the guitar, and I would then tell him how I arrived at that figure. Again, while this could be called a custom order, it's not like anyone has to procure a special wood or unusual binding or fretboard inlay. This customization involves the absence of work, and I doubt that Taylor's going to charge the dealer any more for it.

I didn't do any customization on my two guitars, but I emailed my dealer and asked him if he was willing to accept $XXXX for the guitars, and he snapped up the deal. It never hurts to make an offer, assuming it's a realistic one.

You can always pursue the eBay or Craigslist route if you don't get what you want from your dealer.

goldleaf

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:19 pm

Dennis, you are absolutely right, and even if it did cost a little more it would probably be worth it just to order exactly what you want. What was I thinking. A custom ordered Taylor, now who wouldn't want that, I know I do. Gary

leeson

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 am

All great points. Though, I can't imagine buying a guitar without playing it. I can't even decide when I do play it!

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic