Easiest Guitars to Play

smips65

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:16 pm

tobman wrote:
Thanks guys. Good advice. I will of course try a few in the store. Wish I could go play a couple of songs I know, but alas, I am too much of a beginner; don't know any songs. I can strum and pluck though. :S
:dry:

I'll throw my 2 cents worth into this...

If you can play some chords, especially at the nut, find one that plays and frets comfortably for you. Good sound and playability is key for sure, but don't pick one out just because it sounds awesome, but turns out to be a real pain to play. Getting frustrated will sink the ship so to speak.

johnrfeeney

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:52 pm

great thread - as far as my two cents, what has been said about setting up the guitar is the best advice.

if one didn't have the inkling or daring to have their guitar worked on I would say that the Taylors are magnificent right from the factory. Their action is excellent and the sound - well you have to hear it to believe it.
A well set up Martin - even one of their inexpensive models is also an excellent bargain.

tobman

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:43 am

Well as fate would have it, I walked into our local guitar shop, who is having a 20-40% sale through Wednesday, and came out with two guitars.

A Martin D16RGT (Sitka Spruce and Indian Rosewood) for me and a baby Taylor for my kids. The Martin is awesome, loud and vibrant. The Taylor is nice too, great small guitar.

Now I gotta figure out how to play the thing. ;-)

izzyhara

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Way to nab a sale !! Okay - I understand the baby Taylor for your kids. But you simply must share with us your experience, and what drew you to the Martin. Could you tell the difference - either listening or playing? We all learn from each other, so tell us how you ended up with this guitar. Izzy

haoli25

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:09 pm

tobman wrote:
A Martin D16RGT (Sitka Spruce and Indian Rosewood) for me and a baby Taylor for my kids. The Martin is awesome, loud and vibrant. The Taylor is nice too, great small guitar.

Now I gotta figure out how to play the thing. ;-)

The complete instructions for how to play are in the TARGET program. Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Bill

tobman

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 am

Well it was a combination of trusting the shop owner, and knowing Martin guitar's reputation. I wanted a loud guitar with a solid body, dreadnought. Taylor and Martin are top choices and the two primary brands First String Music here in Steamboat Springs, CO sells. The owner played it for me and he assured me he could set it up to play as easily as a Taylor. I played it and liked the feel and sound. The D16 is, like the Taylor DN3, a workhorse of low priced solid body/top dreadnoughts, great sound and looks both of them.

Can't go wrong with either.

I get the opportunity also to play with bluegrass players and my kids all play violin, and Martin has a longstanding reputation as a bluegrass guitar that can play loud enough to be heard, and has great sound. Although my playing interests are more along the lines of classic folk/rock and 12-bar blues.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic