Guitar needed in Melbourne Australia for 3 weeks

gzing2

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:17 pm

I will be traveling to Melbourne Australia from Baltimore MD on a work assignment for 3 1/2 weeks. I would like a steel string acoustic guitar to play while there. I emailed several music stores asking about a rental, all responses were NO.

I also thought that I could buy a modestly priced guitar in Melbourne, then return it 3 weeks later for something less than I paid. The music stores weren't in love with that idea either.

It would cost approximately $500 to ship my guitar round trip FedEx and to carry on the airlines, probably an extreme hassle along with luggage.

Anyone out there have any thoughts on a solution?

It sure would be nice to practice some Target Lessons while down under!

tovo

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Well I can think of a couple of possible solutions, each will cost you though.

First I would think about checking out this thread:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... ar-choices

I would recommend the silent guitar for travel. You can take it as hand luggage and using it with a headphone means you won't be disturbing anyone in the next room. But there are several other options in that thread. Here's a link to the silent guitar which you can buy for less than 500US:

http://www.yamahamusic.com.au/products/ ... efault.asp

The second option isn't great, but you can buy a fairly cheap steel string (maybe 200-300 bucks) and then pawn it or give it away when you leave. You dollar is slightly stronger than the Aussie dollar (although not by much) so take that into account. Like I said, probably not a great option.

I'd consider helping you out with a guitar while you are here but Melbourne is 800km away from me.

Have you been to Melbourne before? Great place I think you will like it. Have a good trip and good luck with your practicing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic