What kind of guitar is this?

Hydroman52

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Can someone figure out what kind of guitar is in this video? I am told that the guy playing it is Austrailian if that gives a clue. He is a doctor at the Carbone Cancer Center in Madison, WI.

http://www.youtube.com/user/uwmadison#p/c/7/7AZ_VQ1wF6k

I am thinking that it is an Ovation, but I've never seen one like this. It appears to have a rounded back, but the bridge doesn't look like Ovation issue. Also, notice the position of the pegs on the peghead. Looks like four on the bottom and two on the top. I'd appreciate if anyone could help out here.

tovo

Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Can't help on the guitar sorry Hydro but it was sure nice to see Chris (Neverfoundthetime) on piano.

ffsooo3

Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:57 pm

I'd say Ovation too. Could be: http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=detail2&mid=767 or http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=detail2&mid=966 The body on the T357 seems to match the guitar in the video but the 4 tuners are on the wrong side of the headstock.

AndyT

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Looks like a T357 with a Lefty head.

haoli25

Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:24 pm

You can tell by the head on the guitar that it is an Ovation. I think it is one of their Limited Edition models.

Bill

Hydroman52

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:12 pm

tovo – I agree. It is good to see TG members, such as Chris, not so focused on just playing guitar that they don’t have time to explore other sidelines like keyboards and cancer research. And he “pulls out all the stops” in the second part of the video. Good of you to spot that . . . . . it went right by me.

ffsooo3 – Thanks for the links. I didn’t see the “Archive/Discontinued” section of the Ovation WEB site. This answers a lot of questions. I have never seen a model like this one and it doesn’t appear that it was in production very long.

Andy – You and ffsooo3 appear to be onto something here. It looks as though this is some sort of hybrid between the T357 (top) and the MOB47/MOB57 (neck, peg head, and bridge). Perhaps these doctors have gone off the deep end and are performing other types of research/surgery (thinking Frankenstein here) on guitars?

Bill – Your vote seals the deal. It is probably a short run model, and I am sending an email to KMC Music (Ovation Guitar parent company) to see if they can shed some light on it and will post a follow-up here if I get a response from them for those that are curious.

Thanks for the all feedback. I think you guys have nailed it.

The back story on the video:

My dad has been battling cancer for the past few years. A few months ago, he was diagnosed with a year to live. Since then, the disease has become very aggressive and that has been reduced to only a month left to live. The Carbone Center in Madison, WI is where he has been receiving his primary care and treatment. The gentleman with the guitar is one of the doctors who have come onboard during the final stages of his life. This is a video that was sent to my dad to cheer him up. When my dad saw it, he asked me what kind of guitar it was so that he could make a comment on it the next time he talked with the doctor. I started researching it, but was not getting any results . . . . . until I posted on the TG forum.

I was visiting my dad when he asked about the guitar and I logged into TG on his laptop to post this thread. I told him that it wouldn’t take long for some comments and leads to come rolling in, and we weren’t disappointed. That was yesterday afternoon, and this morning, I emailed the final findings to him. Needless to say, his is impressed and happy, and so am I.

Thanks for your help,
Hydroman52

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Hydro, I believe it is an Ovation not sure about which one, so I messaged the guys through You Tube and asked direct. I couldn't find one in the Discontinued or Limited Edition lists from Ovation/Applause ore even some of the cheap copies that matched exactly so I'm thinking like the others it may be a 'Bitsa' bits of this and bits of that...

On the back story, its good to see that TG can help even in this small way on what must be tough times for you and family. Please pass on best wishes to your father.

regards

Chas

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Hydro my sincere best wishes to your dad and all your family. I wish you all the strength and warmth in the world at this time.

Tony spotted me on the piano... there is no safe place left in the world to hide your hobbies!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic