Hoping to add a classical guitar

temo44

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 am

So I recently bought a new electrical guitar(sorry if it's off topic) and I'm very happy with it. But the only guitar I'm missing now in my collection is a classical.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is a classical guitar the easiest to play with when fingerpicking? Since I'm almost only practicing with fingerpicking songs, and it's kinda hard on my Morgan western guitar.

And if that's true, I really want a cheap one for home use only, no campfire or whatever. Any advice would be welcome :).

offtopic: yesterday night I was so excited that practicing went so well, I couldn't sleep :laugh: . Sounds familiar?

michelew

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 am

Temo,

In my very limited experience, classicals are both easier and harder.

They're a bit easier because:
[ul]- the tension is lighter for nylon strings (compared to steel strings); this makes it easier to fret a note and easier to play the note as it takes less force with your right hand to pluck the string
- the stringers are wider apart and that makes it easier to hit the string you're aiming for without hitting it's neighbour[/ul]

But, they're harder than a steel string because the wider neck (which delivers the wider string spacing) means that the notes are further apart on the fret board and some stretches are harder.

I think your decision to buy a classical is best determined by the following things:
[ul]- whether you enjoy the sound of a classical - if not why spend the money
- whether you like the feel
- whether you want to play the sorts of music that is generally played on a nylon string - this includes folk, classical, Spanish, etc.[/ul]

Of course there are other reasons to get one - such as just wanting to try it out - and that's not a bad reason, but maybe you should see if you can borrow one first or go to you local music store and do it there.

If you do decide to get one, you'll find that your fingers get a bit confused when you move between guitars that have a different neck width. I tend to play a song primarily on either the classical or the steel string - that way the muscle memory related to each song is suitable for the guitar I play it on.

I enjoy playing classical guitars. I mostly enjoy the sound and think that some of the music I like sounds better on them.

Have fun deciding and good hunting if you decide to check them out.

BTW - great to hear that your practice sessions are making you happy. The results are certainly great to watch.

Michele

jayswett

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 am

I can't add much to what Michele said, other than to say that I find it a bit of an adjustment every time I pick up a classical guitar. Wider neck, different feel of the strings, etc. I do own a classical guitar, but it's not a very good one and I rarely play it. My guess is that with your new electric, you will also find yourself playing a classical guitar only rarely.

izzyhara

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:20 am

OK - I think I am the classical guitar person around here - as for 20 years or so, that is all I played. Michele has given you great things to think about - yes, the neck is wider and I have innumerable posts about how I have struggled with that. My hands aren't terribly large and I had one classical that had a 52mm nut that I just couldn't play. I also have an ancient Yamaha with a 50mm nut, which I can play pretty well. This is a $100 guitar but I wouldn't recommend it necessarily. The action is bad, and although the sound is good, it's due for a trip to the luthier as I have really bad string buzz and such. I don't remember your fingers, so the really wide necks may not be a problem for you. I just recently traded my large guitar in on a relatively cheap Cordoba Dolce. It is a 7/8 size guitar - which means the whole thing is 7/8 smaller than a standard classical. I believe this guitar retails for about $289. And actually, for as inexpensive as it is, I am impressed. It has no electronics, but a pretty rich sound. The body is slightly smaller, which works for me. And the neck width, at the nut, is about 1 7/8 inches. So it is very playable for me. I would recommend you try this one. The price is right, and it would be a good introduction to classical. It comes with a really nice gig bag, and is very portable. It is an adjustment going from a classical to an acoustic, and like Michele, I have my classical songs and my acoustic songs. Going from electric to classical will really be strange. Compared to electric, classical strings are much harder to fret. But FUN !!! So much room to finger pick, and that great mellow nylon string sound. As we tell everyone, play lots of different ones. But I am living proof that you can join this realm for under $300 if you like the Dolce. Good luck and let us know what you do.

wiley

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:07 am

dekotaj

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:51 am

michelew wrote:
Temo,

In my very limited experience, classicals are both easier and harder.

They're a bit easier because:
[ul]- the tension is lighter for nylon strings (compared to steel strings); this makes it easier to fret a note and easier to play the note as it takes less force with your right hand to pluck the string
- the stringers are wider apart and that makes it easier to hit the string you're aiming for without hitting it's neighbour[/ul]

But, they're harder than a steel string because the wider neck (which delivers the wider string spacing) means that the notes are further apart on the fret board and some stretches are harder.

I think your decision to buy a classical is best determined by the following things:
[ul]- whether you enjoy the sound of a classical - if not why spend the money
- whether you like the feel
- whether you want to play the sorts of music that is generally played on a nylon string - this includes folk, classical, Spanish, etc.[/ul]

Of course there are other reasons to get one - such as just wanting to try it out - and that's not a bad reason, but maybe you should see if you can borrow one first or go to you local music store and do it there.

If you do decide to get one, you'll find that your fingers get a bit confused when you move between guitars that have a different neck width. I tend to play a song primarily on either the classical or the steel string - that way the muscle memory related to each song is suitable for the guitar I play it on.

I enjoy playing classical guitars. I mostly enjoy the sound and think that some of the music I like sounds better on them.

Have fun deciding and good hunting if you decide to check them out.

BTW - great to hear that your practice sessions are making you happy. The results are certainly great to watch.

Michele
No need for me to say anything,Its all right here.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic