Classical guitar restringing...at the tuner post.

quincy451

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Ok I had been running a set of basic classical strings on my yahama C40. But I was never satisfied with the treble string sound from it. So digging deep into string options I found these:
http://www.juststrings.com/toi-kr116.html

Thomastik-Infield KR-116 classical guitar strings. When I first opened the package and looked at the high-e...I saw a light gauge metal around what I guess is a nylon rope core. I was like ok...this is going to create a interesting sound on the treble side. All 3 treble strings are metal wound. Then I go to string up the guitar...and second
shock. These $26 classical guitar strings are ball end. I was like ok. This is going to be easy. So I unmount the existing and mount the new strings. I take each string to the tunning peg and back through one time. This usually creates enough tension you can tune up and be done. Not so fast. These strings are a noticeably lighter gage than the others. I am like...ok that is going to be interesting. Less chance of hooking say a A string when you was going for a E string. I get all strings mounted and go to tune up.

The low E and the A string might tune up ok. But the other strings especially the G string. No way. About 4 turns of the peg and there is a light pop like noise and the pitch is back about where it started. Yea string has slipped back to about the starting point. You can see if you look at the tuning peg the whole looks like it was created for bass strings compared to these very thin strings that are now on this guitar.

So the question: How might I secure these thin strings at the tunning peg?

Thanks,
David

haoli25

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 pm

tom18

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 am

Bill,
Thanks for your response here. I'm not particularly interested in stringing a classical guitar since I don't own one (at least not currently), but the Frets.Com website is full of other very useful information and I hadn't come across this site before.
Tom

haoli25

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:39 am

You are certainly more than welcome Tom. I agree, it is a very good website and worthy of an addition to the FAVORITES of any guitar player.

Better start looking around for a good classical guitar. Sooner or later Hector will lure you in. :)

Bill

quincy451

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:07 am

Thank you...this worked...I did a double loop tie like you would do at the bridge on all strings just to be consistent. As for the string themselves. Love them. Bast I have ever had.

haoli25 wrote:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic