Taylor Road Show Report

mcfingers

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:31 pm

In a word. Fantastic.

Last night I had the good fortune to be able to attend one of Taylor's Road Shows. It evening was filled with great music,insight and information about everything Taylor. A Great discussion of Tone Woods, Body Shapes, Necks, Tops, Electronics, and more. The Rep that presented last night was new to Taylor (only 4 weeks with the company) but he did not lack experience or knowledge. He had spent the last 10 years working for a major pick-up and amplifier company and he new his stuff. The little he did lack in knowledge was made up for by the contract guitarist, who was awesome and very funny.

During the "Petting Zoo" portion of the show, this is where the audience gets to come up on stage and play anything they have up there and it's all for sale at reduced prices, I went straight for the 35th Year LTD Edition Acoustic. It had a list price of $19,995.00. It was the best guitar I will never get to buy. Even the reduced price came in at $11,795.00. :woohoo: I tried to talk them into moving the decimal over to the left one more place but, no luck. :P

After the Zoo they brought out the T5 dual accoustic/electric. Man that is one sweet guitar for anyone needing an instrument to play a wide range of songs in one set.

The night ended with them raffling off fun items like Taylor T-shirts, Hoody's, Elixer strings and Taylor picks. I won a cool black Taylor Guitars T-shirt so the night was complete.

It lasted about 3+ hours and after dreaming all night about guitars I had a tough day at work the next day as I was pretty tired. Who knew being around so many fantastic guitars could be that tiring.

Oh, one last things I discovered was that everyone who attends a Taylor Road Show is eligible for a drawing in December. Bob Taylor draws one of the attendee cards we all filled out and calls that person. He announces, Hi, I Bob Taylor I want to build you a guitar. WOW!
They told us that the first year Bob did this the guy on the other end didn't believe him and said, "Yeah, right." and hung up. Bob shrugged and drew another card.

I wonder if that guy ever found out and kick himself later? I think I would have been depressed for a long, long time.

Cheers all,
Steve

MarkM

Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Steve,

Glad you had such a great time. Yup those roadshows are a ton of fun. I'll make damn sure tha I get back to another one later this year for my chance to have Bob build me a guitar. I wonder if there were any restrictions on choice. I can come up with one heck of a sweet BTO. Can't wait to see pictures!!!!!

MarkM

Catman

Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:55 am

When's the next roadshow in Israel?

I am soooo jealous!

I have to agree with you about the T5 -- I just bought one!

David

michelew

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:40 am

Does it ever come to Sydney? I reckon a certain big green guy from Adelaide and a Skiwi might even make it for that one.

dennisg

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:42 am

michelew wrote:
Does it ever come to Sydney? I reckon a certain big green guy from Adelaide and a Skiwi might even make it for that one.
They don't seem to post the schedule very far in advance. I checked through the end of May, and I see road shows only in the U.S. and Europe. But keep checking this site every so often for added dates: http://www.taylorguitars.com/roadshow

michelew

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:09 pm

dennisg wrote:
michelew wrote:
They don't seem to post the schedule very far in advance. I checked through the end of May, and I see road shows only in the U.S. and Europe. But keep checking this site every so often for added dates: http://www.taylorguitars.com/roadshow
Thanks Dennis.

I won't hold my breath though.

dennisg

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:27 pm

michelew wrote:
dennisg wrote:
michelew wrote:
Thanks Dennis.

I won't hold my breath though.
I could see them doing it if there were a big Taylor dealer in Sydney. If there's not, it would be a pretty expensive proposition for them to haul all their goodies to Oz for a small turnout.

One thing you should consider: Taylor is pretty responsive to people suggesting locations for road shows. Don't hesitate to go to their road show page and let them know you'd like them to hit Sydney.

michelew

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Dennis. I'm not sure what would constitute a big Taylor dealer down here. The place I purchased my Hofner (the Guitar Factory) sells many of them. But, they a relatively little and only have 3 rooms of guitars.

And now I'm thinking ... timing...if they came to town tomorrow - well that WOULD be fabulous - but torturous also because I simply could afford to buy anything.

Still how long does it take to organise something like that. You've convinced me. I'm off to the Taylor site.

As always great talking to you Dennis!

dennisg

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:53 pm

I just love talking you into things, Michele.

michelew

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:59 pm

dennisg wrote:
I just love talking you into things, Michele.
You have skills.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic