Oh that's wrong dude!

buddy

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:25 pm

Great topic Tony !

I think that when you are first beginning to learn the guitar that their is great value in attempting to learn a song as close to the original as possible so that you learn all the techniques and subtle things that you would miss otherwise. As you progress as a player however, I think it is natural to want to interject your own soul into the song. where too draw these lines is a little more difficult to determine and that is where appreciating our uniqueness as people and players is so important.

In my opinion, some of the greatest musicians of our day were not necessarily the greatest technicians but rather they played with a lot of passion and feeling.

MarkM

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:35 pm

Tony,

Interesting topic. Right/wrong...... Well when you boil it down to the basics I suppose that if the song plays the way you want it to and you are comfortable with the the results then it is right for you. For me, I totally respect the way Neil teaches the song and wants us to learn it. However there are some moments when, again for me, I need to change a specific fingering as it works for me in that moment. Take Suite Judy Blue Eyes in the first part after the intro. Well that G chord that Stills plays with his thumb IS more comfortable for me and it just feels right. Now I wish I could play it with my ring and pinky finger on the E and A strings but I just can't do the stretch with my index finger on the high E (in this case high D) string. It works for me in this particular instance. Now I have for the most part moved my fingerings for the standard G and A chords to conform to Neils suggested fingerings. Although it was painful to relearn them I can see how it pays off for the hammerons and chord changes one can make from this fingering. I am very happy I made those changes. I'm never going to be a rock star so as long as I progress in my technique and small amount of talent I'm happy. Certain songs there really isn't any other way to learn them unless you follow Neil's way. Which is good because it does provide a way to learn the technique the correct way. As far as the comments on YouTube well I always take them with several grains of salt. Some video's can be used as a good tool for songs that are not lesson's on TG and some are complete garbage. To each thier own. Welcome back bye the way.

MarkM

tovo

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:35 am

I'm gratified by the responses. I agree that You Tube is a minefield of semi-literates, abusive comments and pseudo intellectuals. One of the reasons I appreciate TG so much. In the end, I most value the advice that says take aboard all that Neil says (and he ALWAYS explains his logic and it is always...well...very logical) and then do whatever you want with your music.

Oh Matt, I only have pics of endless sand dunes from this trip but 3 smiling boys who got to be wild men for a few days. Thanks for the welcome back all.

Chasplaya

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:59 am

Welcome back Cuz!

Great topic. One thing that I oft ponder is who in the beginning determined the right way to play and why? Lets say had it been Clapton who wrote the theory about chord shapes and fingerings in the beginning, some barres might today be considered 'wrong'... I bet Clapton can explain his versions away same as Neil can easily explain his way, from that I take neither is right or wrong, just a preferential way of doing things, sometimes the logic makes sense for moving to the next position but both styles could probably use 'their logic'.

Now for me Neils G chord is virtually impossible as I have a damaged pinky that doesn't do as its told; so sometimes I can get the Neil G, but very rarely, so am I wrong if I get the right sound but use a different fingering? Do I care? I believe the answer is no I'm not wrong and if it sounds right to me and my circle of friends who listen then I don't care about the means to get there.

What I do like about TG is we get good explanations about why? and this expands our abilities and gives more tools in the box.

wiley

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:46 am

sws626

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Tony,

It really depends on the song, of course. And as others have pointed out, there are a lot of covers that are somehow "better" or more interesting than the originals. When I'm playing a Dylan or Neil Young tune, there's often a particular sound I'd like to hear and that is often closely linked to a technique of theirs that I haven't yet mastered. In that case, learning the technique and getting that sound is part of the joy of learning. To skip over it because I don't know how it's done would be less than satisfying.

On the other hand, I'll go to great lengths to avoid using the left thumb on the low E. This makes it difficult, for example, to play some of Damien Rice's songs as they appear on the record; but it's not a habit I want to get into, so I guess I'm playing them "wrong," but for a good reason.

But with most of the songs in the Target program, the original artists have played them so many different ways that I don't think anyone can claim a right or wrong way to play them.

-Stuart

tovo

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks for the responses since I last said thanks for the responses.

I watched the daily video news and thought Neil summarised it all pretty well (as many of you here have).

'Right' and 'Wrong' are absolutes that are hard to apply to art. Someone said that already but I think it's very true.

izzyhara

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi Tony. Welcome back. I so love these topics - there is certainly no shortage of opinions amongst this group. I think I have piped in on previous posts when someone has dissed someone else about not playing something "right". I like that someone reminded us all that music is an art, and as such, has expression based upon the artist. Neil's lessons are so good because he helps with strumming patterns, the smoothest fingering, the right notes/chords/lyrics. Then I figure we are on our own to make this song our own - (hey I sound like American Idol-hopefully everyone will know what I mean!!). Anyway, it has been fun to hear what everyone has to say around this thought. And we are lucky that we can share here and aren't relegated to YouTube, where people can actually be cruel in their comments. Izzy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic