Sustain

AndyT

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:36 pm

If we are going to add electrics in here, there is a new bridge out the has measurably improved sustain. It was invented by Jeff Babicz.

http://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-products.htm

wrench

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:47 pm

smips65 wrote:
The thinking on stop bars for example is the fact that there are only 2 bolts screwed into the body of the guitar, so more string surface connection to the bar = more sustain.
That makes sense to me if the pickups can sense physical vibration, but being more familiar with acoustics than electrics, I thought electric guitar pickups are magnetic only, and therefore only sense string vibration. My thinking on the length of the inactive part of the string was higher order harmonics, which does affect sustain. So Dennis is right - we're gonna need that HP now, or our low-cost substitute, Audacity.

Actually, we can look at this with recordings of similar guitars, one top-wrapped and one standard. We could use Audacity to analyze the frequencies present in the decay of similar ringing notes. If contact is the source of the additional sustain, both guitars will show the same frequencies, but the top-wrapped sample will have higher amplitudes. If the source of the sustain is additional string length, the top-wrapped sound sample will show some additional higher frequencies.

Do you know of any recordings of where the guitars are known to be top-wrapped or not?

wrench

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:56 pm

AndyT wrote:
If we are going to add electrics in here, there is a new bridge out the has measurably improved sustain. It was invented by Jeff Babicz.

Okay, I think I see where this is going. It looks like the issue is to minimize string damping through inefficient connection of the saddle and bridge to the body. Makes sense.

wrench

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:02 pm

dennisg wrote:
Good idea. I've always felt there wasn't enough fungus on my Taylor.
Dennis,

If you can't find the right fungus through your local supplier, you could always pressure cook your Taylor. See US patent 6667429. This is the simulated aging process Yamaha uses on its highend guitars. Actually, Yamaha isn't the only manufacturer doing this.

If, however, you elect NOT to cook your Taylor, well I would understand. It probably doesn't need it, and it may have already been cooked.

This is more related to aging, therefore a little off-topic. Sorry.

smips65

Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:04 pm

AndyT wrote:

I wonder what the difference would be if you top-wrapped the strings on the stop bar on this model???? Image

Part of the "theory" with top-wrapping is to elevate the torque on the stop bar.
This is the same guitar I showed b4, and you can clearly see the amount of force on those 2 bolts.... with top-wrapped method.

Now this is specific to "neck-thru" guitars. A standard Les Paul, or an ES-335 type with the same construction method. A bolt-on neck just won't give as much of an effect.

And yes, electric guitar pickups are magnetic, but how the guitar plays, and holds tone becomes reflected through the pickups regardless of how that signal is transfered to the amp, be it vibration, magnetic, or otherwise.
Image Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic