Three guitars at once

frybaby

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:46 am

Here's what I am wondering.
Given that 3 scale tones make up a chord, for example a C chord is made up of the 1st, 3rd, and 5th, ( C - E - G)of the scale.

If 3 guitarest, each played one of these chords simultaniously, (Guitar-1 played a C chord, Guitar 2 played an E chord, and Guitar 3 played a G chord) would the result sound like a C chord?

Frybaby

ffsooo3

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:02 pm

C chord + E chord + G chord = (C E G)+(E G# B )+(G B D)= C D E G G# B

Not a pretty sound (to my ears). :woohoo:

frybaby

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:43 am

No wonder my trio never made it big.

mbleier

Wed May 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Hello,

I don't know if this has been explained more clearly to you other than a no this would not result in the same chord sound. A basic chord or triad is made up of three individual notes that are from one scale such as the C major scale that you referred to earlier. A scale is made up of seven different notes ending with an eighth note which is the same as the first note only an octave higher. You can combine different notes within the scale to form different chords.

C major scale - C D E F G A B C

C - E - G = C major
D - F - A = D minor
E - G - B = E minor
F - A - C = F major

Here are the first few examples. There are patterns for determining major scales minor scales and then the chords that fit into that scale are dependent on the type of scale it is. You will find there are different ways of playing the same chord which is called different voicings. I hope I haven't muddied the waters too much. I am by no means an expert but it seemed like there was a general confusion on what makes up a chord or at least a little terminology confusion. Anyways, hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mike

frybaby

Wed May 19, 2010 10:11 pm

Mike thank for resurecting the question and taking the time to answer. Makes perfect sence. Different chord voicing would would do the trick.

Thanks and best regards,
Frybaby

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic