My Taylor buying experience.....:)

dennisg

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 am

Jason,

First off, huge congratulations. You're finding out what Taylor owners have known for decades: that they're a company that makes incredible guitars and treats its customers right. In this day and age, you can't say that about very many companies. Second, I play every Taylor my local store carries (which is usually about 25 models) about every two weeks, and not for a moment have I played something I wished I'd purchased instead of my 814. The size, tone, and looks are all exactly what I want from a guitar. Lastly, your new guitar will have the third-generation ES electronics in it that I missed on my 2009 model by just weeks. I wish I'd known. But you're going to love your guitar -- and if you're anything like me, every time you take it out of the case, you're going to feel like the luckiest guy on Earth. Mazel tov!

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 am

Bill: Thanks! You can rest assured thet I will still stop by to gloat.... :silly:

Marc: Yeah, they were very cool, and easy going. Must be the San Diego air..... B)

Steve: That is neat that Billy was at the Road Show. He was hilarious when I talked to him yesterday. Completely took the blame and is giving me some Taylor gear for the misunderstanding. Told him he did not need to do that since the guitar was still only three weeks out instead of six to eight, but he told me it was his fault and he wanted to make it right. Stand up dude in my book.... B)

Gary: I contacted the shop to get the info about several models and what the differences were. I was also looking at the 914ce, but it was an additional $1,300.00 and I was not really sure about the differences. Basically the 914ce had a slightly higher grade of rosewood and spruce along with fancier binding, bridge and tuners. Not enough to justify the price in IMHO (sweet looking guitar though). Here is a link to the guitar I bought: http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Ac ... 800/814ce/
It is a grand auditorium size with rosewood back and sides. All the rest of the details are better explained in the link.

Mark: Thanks! Dennis stopped by, but I have not heard from Bear in a while. He's a great dude, and it is too quiet around here without his banter.... ;)

Jim: Yeah the value placed on the website is a bit frightening! Rest assured, that you will NOT pat that much when you buy at your local store. They have plenty of wiggle room, and will work with you. I could have haggled more and then gone over to GC and got an even better price, but dealing with Instrumental Music here in Ventura (also in Thousand Oaks and Santa Barbara) is ALWAYS better. Their salespeople are pretty darn in tune (pun intended) with the stock they carry. Plus, I would prefer they stay in business over the giants anyhow.... B) I take lessons there, and have gotten to know the people that work in the store. It is fun to go talk shop with them. In fact, they are having a Fender workshop tomorrow night. Giving some tips on fender guitars and the new fender amp. Should be fun!

Dennis: Thanks for the kind words. The 814ce is such a great size. I like that it is a bit bigger than my 000-15 Martin, but not as big as a dreadnaught. It projects very nicely, and feels right in my hands. The Grand Symphony is a nice size as well, but it is geared a bit more towards the mid range, and I have a spectacular mid range guitar in the 000-15 Martin (mahogany). I like that the Grand Auditorium has the treble and the bass ends covered for me. Great for fingerpicking and medium strumming. The 10th of May is not so far off, but I am sure it is going to feel a bit longer.... :lol:

Jason

abiliog

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 am

Congratulations Jason,
814CE, that's a top one.
Maybe a video just to hear it... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Once again, huge congratulations.
Abilio

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Abilio:

Thanks! I certainly have a few songs to give it a go on. The rate that they have been getting lessons out has been overwhelming. Gotta love it!

Jason

BigBear

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Jason- the excavating business in CA must be better than I thought!! I truly believe that the 814 is the absolute best guitar Taylor makes. There are prettier ones, and more costly ones, but none that provide the sweet Taylor sparkle and still are so beautiful at the same time. I am really hoping that the 814 is my next guitar too! Except I want a right handed one!! LOL!

Can't wait to hear how you like it. Just like when Dennis bought one, I'm green with envy!!! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Hey man! Good to hear from you. Can we say "CHANGE ORDER".............. B)

I can't wait to give it a test drive...... B)

Jason Image

tovo

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm

BigBear wrote:
Just like when Dennis bought one, I'm green with envy!!! :cheer:
Me too!! See??

dennisg

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:43 pm

Jason,

I think whoever told you that the 900 series has a higher grade of rosewood than the 800 series is mistaken. According to Taylor's specs, both of those series use AA East Indian Rosewood for the back and sides. There are some differences between the two series, but not in the wood. You can rest assured that your 814 is going to be made with the highest-grade rosewood Taylor offers.

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:24 pm

dennisg wrote:
Jason,

I think whoever told you that the 900 series has a higher grade of rosewood than the 800 series is mistaken. According to Taylor's specs, both of those series use AA East Indian Rosewood for the back and sides. There are some differences between the two series, but not in the wood. You can rest assured that your 814 is going to be made with the highest-grade rosewood Taylor offers.
I like the sound of that! I had emailed their support on the website, and they told me about the wood differences, as well as the bridge, tuners, binding and one other thing I can't recall right now (maybe the inlays). None of which were really important to me for the $1,300.00 difference( I was mostly concerned with tone). I think the wood is all AA grade, but they may put aside a few of the best looking pieces to make the 900 series. Again, I don't know that I would know the difference in that either. If things would have worked out where I wanted to wait longer (yeah right....lol) I could have set up a tour of the factory and hand picked the wood for my guitar. It was very tempting (I mean VERY tempting), but the prospect of getting it in 3wk vs. 2 months or more, made that neat little side less attractive. How cool was that for them to offer though. Truly nice people to deal with so far.

Jason

d_dog

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Congrats Jason! I certainly have the Taylor bug now after taking the factory tour this last weekend. It'll be awhile but I've got my eye on either the K26ce (Koa) or the 616ce (Big leaf maple) Both are amazing. I preferred the GS body size as well, which would add a little extra bass to the heavy treble of the Big leaf maple. Can't wait to see and hear a video when you get it! I'm sure you're feeling like a kid on Christmas morning everyday.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic