Doing it standing up

hasben

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:45 am

Tony, I am pretty sure it would greatly help singing by involving one's diaphram (not the contraceptive kind :laugh: ) to a greater extent. Maybe our voice coach could have a say here. And Bill, I sang in a Baptist choir-- until I was 18-- and we always did it standing up. :dry:

wammer

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:09 pm

This way you wont look like a dork when everyone else in your band is standing on stage. :woohoo:

Chasplaya

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:03 am

I've done both over the years also played guitar standing up too... :silly: ;) I have a bar stool which I kinda half sit on, so its neither sitting or standing and when our band plays it goes with me. Strange but acoustic tends to be seated and electric standing no real reason. And as Bud alluded to,in getting round the other issue which you demoed a while back invest in good quality grundies mate!!

tovo

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 am

Chasplaya wrote:
And as Bud alluded to,in getting round the other issue which you demoed a while back invest in good quality grundies mate!!
Don't use them myself.

coomba

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:20 am

Now how do I get that vision out of my head

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:22 am

Personally, I like a variation of positions to spice up my guitar-playing life including the Chas-style bar stool, standing and camp fire sitting. As mentioned, standing is much better for singing and helps you get used to playing without looking too much at the guitar and it allows you to buy a purdy strap (I have one with the Canadian Maple-leaf and one with the Swiss flag). I have done the "Tovo crouch" as I do every time I'm learning something unfamiliar so I can see what I'm fretting. Haven't got the hang of the crotch grab yet though ;-)

PS: Coomba, that avatar says it all, mate! Love it!

sws626

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:22 am

haoli25 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Tony. From the title, I thought you were just trying to piss off the Baptists. :laugh:
Careful, though Tony. I hear it can lead to dancing.

I've never tried it myself, but have been thinking lately that it might help. For now, I prefer to sit on a stool and a prop for my right foot.

-Stuart

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 am

And here I thought this was one of those 'spam ads' that creep into TG every once in a while...

A little disappointed, Tony. :whistle:

johnrfeeney

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 am

as always an amazing site

recently told my wife i should get a strap and try to learn playing standing

i'm the worst - i sit in a chair and get my feet up on a nearby stool and point the guitar up as if i knew classical playing

funny though how everyone left to their own devices would learn how to play in a different position

hasben

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:52 am

Chris, the "Tovo crouch" is too funny, and exactly my normal playing style. As to the "adjustment", you may not be familiar because you Brit/Swissies don't play baseball. A good adjustment is mandatory for a batter in baseball, and well documented here in the US. And my wife, Cee, can testify to the fact that even watching a baseball game of TV leads to an obligitory realignment on getting up from the easy-chair and heading for the refrigerator.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic