Doing it standing up

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:43 am

hasben wrote:
Chris, the "Tovo crouch" is too funny, and exactly my normal playing style. As to the "adjustment", you may not be familiar because you Brit/Swissies don't play baseball. A good adjustment is mandatory for a batter in baseball, and well documented here in the US. And my wife, Cee, can testify to the fact that even watching a baseball game of TV leads to an obligitory realignment on getting up from the easy-chair and heading for the refrigerator.
Just like to make it clear, I'm not taking the piss out of Tony (whom have great respect for and who's a great "sport") here, it's just that I think we all sit like that at times or have done through our learning career (as I still do now when learning something new) and I thought it could use a name. ;-)

I think I've seen more "adjustments" made in my time, as a sports coach, than I care to think about! It's better than the soccer players gob (spitting) which you always get as the TV cameras close in after a fantastic shot on goal. Inevitably, the player gobs on the grass afterwards.... instead of goal of the week they could show gob of the week! Having been a soccer player who moved to tennis, you can imagine how I had to keep my inherent urge to gob under control on the tennis court (not good etiquette!) It's not quite as good as the-cover-your-goolies you see when players make a wall at a free kick close to the goal..... but anyway it's much better than doing a "Nadal" every time you serve.... and he shakes hands with that hand too... glad I've only met Federer!

tovo

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:29 pm

hasben wrote:
Chris, the "Tovo crouch" is too funny, and exactly my normal playing style.
I'm thrilled to hear that my playing style is such a great source of merriment.

wammer

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 pm

1. merriment - a gay feeling gaiety happiness - emotions experienced when in a state of well-being glee, gleefulness, hilarity, mirth, mirthfulness - great merriment
jocularity, jocundity - a feeling facetious merriment jolliness, jollity, joviality - feeling jolly and jovial and full of good humor

2. merriment - activities that are enjoyable or amusing; "I do it for the fun of it"; "he is fun to have around"

:dry: :P ;)

wrench

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:43 pm

I think standing to play is a healthy exercise. It helped break me of needing a visual lock on the fretboard, and convinced me I really can play without looking. I noted Tommy Emmanuel played both standing and sitting in a recent performance, but in an older concert from about eight years ago, he played mostly sitting. If, from a performing point of view, standing makes for a more interesting performance, then occasionally doing it standing up will prepare us for those open mic nights that some of us will eventually try.

hasben

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Removed post. Poor attempt at humor. Not my first, probably will not be my last. Apologies to everyone, especially Tony. Fred

tovo

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Whatever.

thereshopeyet

Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks

Catman

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:27 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
FWIW I only play sitting down. I find with my Ovation (roundback) that standing just doesn't work.
Yeah, there's this problem with round-back guitars and round-front bellies (me, not you....)

thereshopeyet

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks

smips65

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 am

:huh:

I think the type of song that is at hand can contribute to the standing/sitting issue.

A song like Yellow Ledbetter with a slide down the neck is impossible for me to play standing, have to sit, similar to FFsoo3 with his ovation, have to clamp down on the body.

My Guild GAD-50 is enormous, so getting around it standing is tough anyways.

Watch the Vid of Neil and his son, it's the same guitar his son is playing.

That said, I agree Tovo, once you somewhat have a song learned, playing it standing sort of makes you re-learn it a little.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic