Doing it standing up

tovo

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Playing that is.

I never play standing, always seated. An experienced friend has been encouraging me to put on the guitar strap and stand to play. I gave it a try last night, quite a different feeling. I guess the main one being it forced me to give up my habit of angling the guitar slightly to see the strings as I fret them. I suspect that is a postive in the long run.

Are there any other good reasons I should persist with practicing in the standing position?

buddy

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Tony,

I am one who prefers standing up while I play so I can feel the music a little better and I also like to move with the beat a little. As you said, it does force you to use a good position with the guitar or it will move away from you and be difficult to play. I play seated as well, but I really prefer standing while I play. Sometimes I will also prop one leg up on a chair while I am standing.

standing also reduces the need to adjust yourself when you stand back up as it has been rumored that some on this site do. :-)

Bud

Bud

haoli25

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks for the explanation Tony. From the title, I thought you were just trying to piss off the Baptists. :laugh:

Bill

Lavallee

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 pm

This is a good point Tony. I practice playing standing sometimes , it gives quite a different perspective. As you said you cannot really look at the left hand the same way. Bud's point is very true about the the guitar stability.

Marc

AndyT

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 pm

My shirts have lost 19 pounds in the front thickness since New Years so it's not as uncomfortable to stand for longer periods of time now. Standing is good because 90% of any gigs you play will be standing up.

MarkM

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Tony,

Boy is it different. That is for sure. I seldom play standing up as I'm just getting by sitting. However if you want to play an Elvis tune you'll just have to stand :) :) :) .

MarkM

tovo

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:37 am

haoli25 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Tony. From the title, I thought you were just trying to piss off the Baptists. :laugh:

Bill
Not me Bill. Last thread I started was somewhat of a disaster so I'm not out to offend any group, religious or otherwise! ;)

I had noticed that you stand all the time Bud, I guess that is comfortable for you. Good point on performing Andy, not that I will be fronting a band any time soon, but probably worth being able to play standing if the situation calls for it. Very true Marc it is a very different feeling. Mark, I hear you on just getting by seated, but I think you are doing a bit better than just getting by.

willem

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:15 am

Hey Tony,, you know how to get attension ''doing IT standing up'' ... i tryed but it is so diffrent,,i try it couse i Neil Young doing it (he lost some hair,thats a offer i think), doing it with the guitar angel't on his hip...

What i do is,,buying me a guitar chair....i think that's the half way standing up.. Image

ffsooo3

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 am

FWIW I only play sitting down. I find with my Ovation (roundback) that standing just doesn't work.

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:49 am

Tony:

Tried this a while back and it was a big change for me. Felt pretty good actually. I just need a good lesson on guitar straps, as mine gives me fits.... :woohoo:

@Bud: a little too much info there my friend...... :silly:

@Andy: First off, dig the new avatar. Just noticed it. Secondly, congrats on the shirt loss..... :lol:

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic