Barring Frets...Fretful!!!

buzz_187

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 pm

I hope im posting this in the right forum, but i didnt see any technique forums so here goes. Why oh why is it taking me fooooorever to teach my index finger, or any of them for that matter to bar a fret, you know, hold down all the strings, i can bar strings 1 & 2 or B and E what ever you wana call em, sometimes. But any more than that and everything is deadened!!! This is sooooo aggravating, it obviously puts a hex on my F Major chord and not to mention just about every song i WANT to play! Sorry if this seems like a rant, but i practice this daily and it feels like im making NO progress what-so-ever! If i cant master this seemingly simple process i might as well throw in the towel on a passion ive wanted to fullfill my whole life! Any tips?!?!

coomba

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:24 pm

G'day Brad
Yes your in the right place. You''ll get more results from members here as they log on over the course of the day.
In the chat room I thought you were referring to fret buz. Now I realize you are referring to Bar chords.
Firstly there is nothing easy or simple about bar chords and they take a long time to get right. Ive been going for years and they still give me no end of trouble. So don't worry about your progress at this early stage. You will get it.
Secondly check out Neils lessons on chords they will help a lot with technique.
Third Practice a lot! Then some more. Then some more.
Seriously just keep at it.
Hopefully some of the more experienced guitarist around here can shed some more light for you (I will be interested too )
Good luck
Cheers
Scott

buzz_187

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:32 pm

yeah man, they are h**l to play!! i guess i shouldnt be trying to give up so easy! and i totally agree about all the practice! with daily practice ive seen some major improvements in certain areas of my playing but my three biggest enemies are...
#1: Barr Chords
#2: Rapid chord changes and
#3: Striking the correct strings with my right hand (im a righty btw)
If i can just get these things down ill be jammin but man..if it was easy i guess everybody would be doin it huh?

tovo

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi Brad,

I'm certain I don't fit into the "highly experienced" category, but I do have a tip that I found quite useful which I picked up somewhere.

When you put down your barre finger, rather than press it directly down on the strings, place it close to the fret and then ROLL it slightly toward the nut (toward the headstock just to be 100% clear for you) so that the hard side of your finger is in contact, not the more fleshy, softer part. I'm sure if you practice that you will be able to get each string to ring out. Once you have placed your index finger in the barre, pick each string individually from low to high E and make sure they all sound out clearly. If they do, you are in business.

Getting the full barre down in time to make changes in a song is a different matter and involves a lot of practice, but until you get the right technique for making the barre in the first place, you are not going to get far.

OK that's just one tip. The REAL answer is practice and persistence. EVERY guitarist has gone through this. EVERY ONE. Stick with it.

haoli25

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:37 pm

You are in good company, the barre chord is a pain in the butt to learn. It is well worth the effort though, it opens up so many playing possibilities and many, many great songs.
As Scott said, it does take a LOT of practice and more practice and even more practice, but it will happen.
A couple of things that may help you. Rather than using the 'flat' or 'fleshy' part of your left index finger, roll that finger slightly so you are playing more with the 'edge' of that finger. Most of us do not develop a callous along the edge of the index finger, but the skin will gradually toughen up and will make your barre chords ring more clearly.
The most important part of your barre chord is your left THUMB. Yep, that's right! Make sure your thumb is in the middle of the back of the neck and is inline with your index finger on the strings. This will give you more even pressure and will also help your barre chords come around. Stay with it.

Bill

coomba

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:39 pm

You forgot
Timing
Strumming and Finger picking
Oh and bar chords again. :laugh:

mcfingers

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:48 pm

I totally agree with the others, and you, that Bar chords are tough, especially tough when you are first starting out. something else to consider is the action of your guitar. Nothing makes Bar chords harder than a guitar that has the strings too far above the fretboard. My first steel string guitar was a loner that I borrowed from a friend. It was a cheap, cheap guitar and it was nearly impossible to play a decent bar chord on the thing. Of course I didn't know any better at the time and I nearly quite because I could not get the F or any other bar chord to sound decent. I'm not saying that is the case with your guitar but, I wish someone had mentioned it to me when I first started.

Keep with it, don't over do it, maybe 15-30minutes on the bar chords and then play some satisfying first position D's and E's and A's with a G or a C thrown in once and awhile for fun. The Bar's will come if you stick with it.
Best of luck and don't give up.

Steve

buzz_187

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:55 pm

coomba wrote:
You forgot
Timing
Strumming and Finger picking
Oh and bar chords again. :laugh:
HaHa funny guy ;)

To Tovo and Haoli: Thanks for the tek tips. And about the thumb thing..so many thanks, because ive been getting a sharp pain around the base of my thumb when practicing my barre chords and i guess the reason why is im having to grip soooo hard. Applying the concept you mentioned (placing the thumb in line with barring finger on the back of the neck) makes it easier to apply even pressure to all strings with less effort! Man, i cant believe i wasnt doing that to start with. I understand this completely!

buzz_187

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:57 pm

mcfingers wrote:
Nothing makes Bar chords harder than a guitar that has the strings too far above the fretboard. My first steel string guitar was a loner that I borrowed from a friend. It was a cheap, cheap guitar and it was nearly impossible to play a decent bar chord on the thing. Of course I didn't know any better at the time and I nearly quite because I could not get the F or any other bar chord to sound decent. I'm not saying that is the case with your guitar but, I wish someone had mentioned it to me when I first started.

Steve
yeah, this could be the issue with my spencer, but when i play with my dads washburn, i get nearly the same thing, but yeah, thanks, and im gonna just keep on keepin on, ill buy 50 guitars if i have to to get this....-Brad

haoli25

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 am

Brad, some of the best money you will ever spend is to pay a professional luthier to setup your guitar so that it suites your playing style. (It's not expensive either) Another great bargain for guitar players at any level is to join the TARGET program here at TG. Ask any member (with the TARGET symbol below their avatar) and they will tell you to a person how much it has helped become better guitar players. The lessons, the instruction, and the theory is beyond compare.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic