Guitar Pro 6- Initial Impressions?

BigBear

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Okay, I've freely admitted that I am not a huge Guitar Pro fan. I won't elaborate on why here again.

That being said, I plunked downed my $30 to upgrade to Version 6 in the desperate hope that this version improved on some of my criticisms from Version 5.

I'm very interested what you GP power users think of this new version. Is it a major improvement or a tweak with a new GUI?

What did they get right and what misses the mark? :cheer:

Lavallee

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi Rick, I got version 6 a week ago or so but I have played a lot with it since version 5 is still active. As with any new interface it takes a while to change what you are familiar with and idscover the new stuff. Chas said that the sound of the RSE can be tweeked which I will work on as now it sounds a little funny. So too early for me to comment, but I like the new interface. Mind you I liked version 5 before so I was already a groupie.

Marc

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:03 am

Hi Dudes, Early days yet, but so far so good. Not sure what Marc means about me saying something about the RSE tweaking business though, Arobas claimed they had upgraded the RSE, thats all i'm aware of. They seem to have more options open to you, the new tab idea is useful for working between scores. Not sure I like the colour (thats color Rick) of the sidebar with all the tools on it yet. Creation of a new score is pretty much the same so far, so old tutorials still make sense. I like the new 'Stylesheet' option for quick changes to notation tab. SOme of the other menus look better organised.

Will come back with a more in depth review once i've dabbled a bit more. BUt as i said so far so good.

tom18

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:27 am

Rick,
I decided to buy GuitarPro in the winter but when I heard that there would soon be a new release, I waited for version 6. Consequently, I've not had compatibility issues. I have found some bugs (features?) that have been frustrating though. It strikes me that the software is useful, but that it could still use some serious tweaking. I'm using it to generate tablature for scores that I enter by hand; a tedious process at best. I'd be interested to hear what others are using the software for and I'd really appreciate reading more comments, tips & hints on using it in the forums.
Tom

BigBear

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:36 pm

tom18 wrote:
Rick,
I decided to buy GuitarPro in the winter but when I heard that there would soon be a new release, I waited for version 6. Consequently, I've not had compatibility issues. I have found some bugs (features?) that have been frustrating though. It strikes me that the software is useful, but that it could still use some serious tweaking. I'm using it to generate tablature for scores that I enter by hand; a tedious process at best. I'd be interested to hear what others are using the software for and I'd really appreciate reading more comments, tips & hints on using it in the forums.
Tom

Tom- I do the exact same thing you do plus downloading midi files and try to use them for backing tracks in lieu of a metronome. One of my many frustrations is I can't find any tips, tricks, tutorials, hints or anything else really useful to use this software more efficiently than the tedious process of building a score from scratch. I think I need a "Dummies Guide to GP6". I'm certain many of my problems with GP are self-induced.

This software seems to me to be written for musicians who coincidentally happen to play the guitar. I like Matt's idea of software written for guitarists that coincidentally can be used by all musicians!!

Cheers! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:24 pm

BigBear wrote:
tom18 wrote:

To
This software seems to me to be written for musicians who coincidentally happen to play the guitar. I like Matt's idea of software written for guitarists that coincidentally can be used by all musicians!!

Cheers! :cheer:
This is real 'what came first Chicken or the Egg!!'

BigBear

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:02 pm

I think Arobas took a "one size fits all" approach to their software in order to appeal to the broadest possiblle customer base. But other than some scale and chord generators, tabs, and a GUI with a couple of fretboards GP strikes me as a really generic music generating product. That doesn't make it bad, it just doesn't work the way many guitarists think. Or maybe I don't think like most guitarists! lol! Probably why they don't let engineers take music classes in school! rofl! :silly:

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:17 pm

BigBear wrote:
I think Arobas took a "one size fits all" approach to their software in order to appeal to the broadest possiblle customer base. But other than some scale and chord generators, tabs, and a GUI with a couple of fretboards GP strikes me as a really generic music generating product. That doesn't make it bad, it just doesn't work the way many guitarists think. Or maybe I don't think like most guitarists! lol! Probably why they don't let engineers take music classes in school! rofl! :silly:
Running the risk of getting a convoluted engineering type response , I just wonder what it is you are looking for in a tab programme (program)

Lavallee

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:49 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Hi Dudes, Early days yet, but so far so good. Not sure what Marc means about me saying something about the RSE tweaking business though, Arobas claimed they had upgraded the RSE, thats all i'm aware of. They seem to have more options open to you, the new tab idea is useful for working between scores. Not sure I like the colour (thats color Rick) of the sidebar with all the tools on it yet. Creation of a new score is pretty much the same so far, so old tutorials still make sense. I like the new 'Stylesheet' option for quick changes to notation tab. SOme of the other menus look better organised.

Will come back with a more in depth review once i've dabbled a bit more. BUt as i said so far so good.
Sorry Chas, I did not remember well what you posted a few weeks ago :

"Not sure but why would you need GP5, Every time a new version comes out they always play older version songs, sometimes a few tweaks are required to the equaliser, but they generally work better."

Marc

thereshopeyet

Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic