Goldie Oldies vs. Youngi Fungi

MarkM

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Tread at your own risk.............

I'll come right out and say that my friends think I'm stuck in the dark ages with music. They think that if it wasn't from a band that came out of the 60's or 70's then I don't like it. Well I'll be honest here. I'm 40 soon to be 41 $(&#()$&#(&$@#)( :angry: :angry: and altough they do have a point I try to listen to today's music. Heck I've got a great deal of music from Bands that started in the 80's, 90's I'd have to really think hard about, 2000's that's going to be tough. In the 70's I can remember driving around in the back seat to my mothers Oldsmobile Toronado with the 8 track blaring Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Aerosmith, Eagles, Stones, Beatles, Led Zep, Simon and Garfunkel and even the Bee Gees and Donna Summer. Those were the years that music was thrust upon me and became apart of the fabric of my childhood. That was my parents music then and stuck with me until this day. Now in MY years of really growin up in the 80's "I" listened to (either because of friends or older sister), which was more of my choice, AC/DC, Boston, U2, Scorpions, CSN&Y, Neil Young, Deep Purple, Tom Petty (don't go there), Whitesnake, Journey, J Giles Band, Van Halen, Elvis Costello, Bob Dylan etc.....

So some of the bands in the 80's that I listend to my parents just couldn't understand. It's still a running joke with my mother that I love AC/DC. I guess what I'm sayting is that we are all a product of what we grew up with. Either through our parents or what we found on our own. I thank my lucky stars that my parents got me listening to the Beatles, Stones, etc. I gravitate to that music more than anything. As I get older I find that I like music that has a sort of edge to it or that tells a story. If it's real and not something that a professional song writer gave to a pretty face to sing or something that is just written for the masses then I listen and more than likely want to buy it. With that I'm all over the musical map. I love Shania Twain but I'm not a country fan. I really like Harry Connik Jr but I'd rather pass on the Rat Pack music. As a kid I didn't really get into the Greatful Dead but now I do. I really like Jimmy Buffett, Peter Tosh or Bob Marley if the mood strikes me. I've just gotten into Bluegrass which I can't believe.

Boy this got long and confusing really quick. I just like good music if it comes from someones heart and soul. In my opinion that is harder to find today. I'm not going to knock Rap, speed metal, the 90's grunge (although I do like some Nirvana and Pearl Jam). However most of those songs either don't relate to me and my memories or I simply can't get or hear the lyrics. (my senior moment there) I'm sure it is very relavant to a great deal of folks. Just not me. With so little free time in my life I don't have it in me to out of my want to access or view new music. Not in the tradition manner anyway. I will find the occasional surprise on YouTube though. What's great about Youtube is that if I'm looking at a cover of a Beatles song I many come across a new band covering it and then I'll click and keep clicking. It's amazing what you'll uncover. If I like it then I try and go to thier website. Ok I'm done now. If you made it though this congratulations.

MarkM

BigBear

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Walt- I don't feel threatened by a spirited or hotly contested debate. Bears have pretty thick fur! I enjoy the debate!

My point wasn't to suggest that modern music was all bad. It isn't. I love music in any form (well except, rap and hip-hip!). But Frybaby's question was why, out of all the various musical periods, has the music of the late 60's and 70's become so classic. Not the 50's, not the 80's or 90's.

I watched a bunch of kids playing basketball the other day and they had a boom box blaring Jethro Tull! How does that happen?

Who the hell has ever heard of Scott Beam? He may be the best writer in history but 10 years from now will anyone remember his name? There are hundreds or thousands of these guys out there writing great stuff but who is hearing it and who is hearing it long term? Some of the great ones survived the test of time. Jon Anderson or Steve Howe have certainly survived the test better than many. Timeless music!

And while you may feel that rap or hip-hop are relevant to millions that may be a current effect and not long term. How many of the original rap stars are still relevant to even those who like that genre? Not many. The good ones are all making movies and TV shows for a living. Their music certainly wasn't timeless or even relevant very long.

There is still plenty of live music available. I go watch live acts all the time. But the nature of live music has changed dramatically. It is no longer larger arena venues but smaller, more personal concerts. That's a good thing but the classic bands are the only ones still capable of packing a big arenas.

So thanks for your comments. Anytime you generalize as broadly as I did you are guaranteed to gore someone's ox. But for music to truly become classic or timeless something big must have transpired.

Cheers! :cheer:

hasben

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:34 pm

My 2 cents worth for anybody out there: Just read all the posts above for well-reasoned thought on music. Well done Mark, Dennis, Bearzie and Walt. Kudos to all.

Music Junkie

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 pm

hasben wrote:
My 2 cents worth for anybody out there: Just read all the posts above for well-reasoned thought on music. Well done Mark, Dennis, Bearzie and Walt. Kudos to all.
I agree.

As in all of the other threads that parallel this topic, it is just so damn subjective. One mans junk is another mans treasure...... B)

Good points all of you.

J

AcousticAl

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:27 pm

Here's a 'golden oldie' from my youth -- originally by Alphaville. Remade by Jay-Z and One Republic. I like the fact that a new generation is being exposed to it. And the it's growing on me too.

Music starts a ways-in.
Enjoy?

**Edit- a few lyrics may offend some.

**Another edit- I thought I'd elaborate a bit-
I like to try to stay open to many styles of music. I don't like everything I hear out there-- but I don't totally disqualify an entire category because it's not from my generation.

I posted this clip because it's a remake of a song that I grew up with. I still sometimes get my back up when a classic 'untouchable' song that I like is redone in a way I don't agree with. It also annoys me when people don't even realize that it's a remake. I make sure that I play the original for my daughter, and let her hear how it first sounded. More often than not, she'll prefer the original.

frybaby

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Now this is what a forum should be.
Thank to all of you for joining in.
Now lets go make some music.
Frybaby

beaker

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:30 pm

My 1 cent ,

There is tons of good new music out there, you just have to look a little harder. If you want to find it don't tune in to your local pop radio station (radio programmers are not very hip.... remember Andy from WKRP?) that is where you find Brittany Spears (she is not even an artist, she does not write her own songs and probably can't play any instrument) and the like. But, Do tune into the internet, if you do some digging on You Tube & My space and places like that you will find tons of great artists. They just may not be in the mainstream ( but do they want to be anyway?) Or if you live in a city, check out concert listings.... read reviews.... go see artists that you have never heard of, you may be surprised.
This whole line of Classic rock is so blurry now anyway. It is basically irrelevent. Bob Dylan is old, he still plays, he released an album of original material last year. Is he classic rock? Some members of the Dead have a new band called Furthur with some young guys.... are they classic?
Some people like to write off rap..... Seems odd, there are so many sub genres of rap music.... that like writing off Jazz..... what part don't you like? the crooners? the big band? the crazy Ornette coleman stuff? From where I stand I would cite Bob Dylan as one of the early rappers.... IE Subterranian homesick blues or I Shall Be Free NO 10.
It is interesting that this thread formed on the same day that Neverfoundthetime (Chris) started a thread about his experience at a John Butler show..... This guy is under thirty and is playing great music.
I dont even know what this thread is about anymore, there are old guys making music, young guys making music. As always some of it is not so good but some is great, it pays to be open minded. I usually look for artists with integrity. I like players who would be playing even if they did'nt make a living at it..... because it is so much a part of them that they could not be doing anything else.
Keep on strumming everyone, have fun!
Beaker.

songman52

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:04 am

I've enjoyed reading these discussions. As another "boomer", I love the old stuff, 60s, 70s, 50s, "doo-wop", Big Band and lots of others. As my own kids were growing up I would hear them listening to songs that caught my ear, and got "turned on" to U2, Oasis, Coldplay, Pete Yorn, Jack Johnson, Rufus Wainwright (yes, Loudon's son - remember "Dead Skunk"?), REM, and other acts. There are even some Target lessons on some of these, like Jason Mraz and James Blunt.
If you are in your 50s and logging on to TG, I'd suggest you listen to some of Jack Johnson's stuff, and certain songs of Coldplay, Wilco, Ben Folds, Pete Yorn and others. There's some really good stuff out there. I'm betting lots of you would like "Wake Me When September Ends", "Good Riddance" and some other songs by Greenday.

My kids grew up listening to America, Eagles, Beatles, CSN&Y, Simon & Garfunkel, John Denver, Led Zep, CCR, Air Supply, REO, Styx, etc. and still love these groups. We've been to concerts to see Chicago, CS&N, Moody Blues, Eddie Rabbit, REM, Coldplay, Oasis and others and enjoyed them greatly.

You may not care for "Rapper's Delight", or groups like Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie, and White Stripes, but there is still lots of good music being made. As several of you have pointed out, lots of music evokes memories and feelings that we connect to, so I guess that's why I also enjoy lots of things my own kids listened to and sang. And also why they enjoy the "oldies" as well. Lots of memories. What we like is usually what we're familiar with and what stirs up our feelings.
Of course, as always, "I like that old time rock and roll".

Jerry

TGMatt

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:40 am

songman52 wrote:
I've enjoyed reading these discussions. As another "boomer", I love the old stuff, 60s, 70s, 50s, "doo-wop", Big Band and lots of others. As my own kids were growing up I would hear them listening to songs that caught my ear, and got "turned on" to U2, Oasis, Coldplay, Pete Yorn, Jack Johnson, Rufus Wainwright (yes, Loudon's son - remember "Dead Skunk"?), REM, and other acts. There are even some Target lessons on some of these, like Jason Mraz and James Blunt.
If you are in your 50s and logging on to TG, I'd suggest you listen to some of Jack Johnson's stuff, and certain songs of Coldplay, Wilco, Ben Folds, Pete Yorn and others. There's some really good stuff out there. I'm betting lots of you would like "Wake Me When September Ends", "Good Riddance" and some other songs by Greenday.

My kids grew up listening to America, Eagles, Beatles, CSN&Y, Simon & Garfunkel, John Denver, Led Zep, CCR, Air Supply, REO, Styx, etc. and still love these groups. We've been to concerts to see Chicago, CS&N, Moody Blues, Eddie Rabbit, REM, Coldplay, Oasis and others and enjoyed them greatly.

You may not care for "Rapper's Delight", or groups like Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie, and White Stripes, but there is still lots of good music being made. As several of you have pointed out, lots of music evokes memories and feelings that we connect to, so I guess that's why I also enjoy lots of things my own kids listened to and sang. And also why they enjoy the "oldies" as well. Lots of memories. What we like is usually what we're familiar with and what stirs up our feelings.
Of course, as always, "I like that old time rock and roll".

Jerry
Without saying much more...I grew up with my first band Skye..then moved to Pink FLoyd , and I was a child of the 80's...

I love music from every era..I love early stuff, absolutely adore it..and yet if you really give it a chance every decade offers something....and what you see as classic now, will be the old fogies stuff of the next generation..

I will offer you this point..we are all comfortable with our "era"..what we are "used to", but frankly Coral grows quickest on the literal edge , the outside of a reef, where the waves crash ...

One of the ways to open yourself up, is to get Pandora on your machine ..that is Pandora.com and put the music you like in, then wait for it to serve up suggestions..you will be offered and served a plethora of new stuff and old, you have never considered..and then ...

The coral grows..

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:11 am

That was a good suggestion Matt. Unfortunately Coral will only be growing in the USA in future:

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

Maybe I can get someone in the US to read in Moody Blues, Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens, Gordon Lightfoot, Dan Fogelberg, R.E.M., Coldplay ... and let me know what Pandora suggests. ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic