Advanced Players -- what are you working on?

unclewalt

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:39 pm

(I wrote this up earlier, thinking it might be interesting and very on-topic, but I might not respond to it, as I'm not sure these forums are really for me. But it might make for an interesting response or two from one or two of you, so I'm pasting it in anyway, since I wrote it up.)

Since I joined TG and increased my learning and practice over the past year or so (making more progress than I have in any 5 years over the past 30+), I think I've moved into the high-intermediate or maybe even low-advanced stage. I'm learning how to really fingerpick. And I'm finally learning theory, but really, I'm just starting with that. I'm "analyzing" the harmony and melody of songs. But I'm really just starting to learn all the 7ths, diminished chords, etc. Incredibly, I hadn't moved much past majors and minors in all these years til now. I've always been a very naturalistic player, never formally schooled. I can play basic, bluesy leads and strum along with just about any rock song. But I have those huge gaps in my knowledge, which probably keeps me out of even the low-advanced stage, come to think of it.

What I'd like to hear is what more advanced players are working on -- including Neil if he's interested in answering. What kinds of things do you find challenging? What aspects of your playing are you trying to improve, and how? Are there any songs that you truly struggle with? Which ones? What about theory? Do you feel like you have it down well enough that you don't have to study it per se any more? And one more, specific, question, as someone who is just starting to learn about modes. How often do you use them, and how do you actually employ them when you're playing?

BigBear

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:50 pm

Walt- these are very good questions but how do you define advanced? I think most of us would feel a little arrogant even pretending we could answer for the "advanced" players. Many of us are pretty comfortable in the 5-7 difficulty range and will take on an 8 just for sport. But 7 and 8 are damned hard work.

I've only seen a couple of players on this site who I would classify as advanced. Mark and Thomas (in Germany, who I haven't seen for quite some time) come to mind. If Neil is considered advanced, I am a true sub-beginner! lol!

So, bottom line, I can't answer for the advanced players but I sure hope they are having as much fun as I am!!

Cheers!! :cheer:

KennyF

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:17 pm

Edit

Now that I think about it, I don't really have an answer that would be of any help. When it comes to music, I seem to be working on so many things at any given time, but I'm not really concentrating on something specific at this point.

The only thing I can think of, which is both fun and challenging, is coming up with arrangements that fit our quartet of bass, drums, keys and guitar.

hasben

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Walt, as a beginner of 40 years let me just say this: many kudos to you guys and gals that have progressed on. If I master just the camp-fire stuff, then I will be happy. And that is what this site is all about: Like minded folks of different talent levels that come together to share their experiences. Cool. Do you agree?

willem

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:42 am

hasben wrote:
Walt, as a beginner of 40 years let me just say this: many kudos to you guys and gals that have progressed on. If I master just the camp-fire stuff, then I will be happy. And that is what this site is all about: Like minded folks of different talent levels that come together to share their experiences. Cool. Do you agree?

When this were a campane, i vote for you!!!(flounders you know)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic