How do you store your guitar, and why????

Music Junkie

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 am

Hey everyone.

I live in Ventura, CA, and we have an annual average humidity of about 75% in the morning giving way to about 55% in the afternoon (taken from a local website - and estimated on proximity to LA).

I have read through some of the other threads, and found some interesting information. My question to you is how do you store your guitars? Do you keep them in their hard shell cases, gig bags, etc. or do you leave it out in the open? I have seen reasons for both, but I am still up in the air about the right way. I am sure it depends on your location, and your average relative humidity, but let me know what you do and what your reasoning is.

I have a tendency to store mine in it's case, but mostly to protect it from my little dudes and their light saber play in the living room..... B)

I would love to buy some hangers and hang them up out of the way, but I don't know if that will harm them in the long run by leaving them out..... :unsure:

Thanks,

Jason

dennisg

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:36 am

Jason,

From what I've read on Taylor's web site and in other forums, you stand a very good chance of having the wood absorb all that humidity and then swell outward, possibly damaging the wood. It's not my intention to be an alarmist, but I just wouldn't risk leaving a good guitar out in that kind of humidity. I have an old Guild D-25 that I leave in a stand for when a song passes through my brain, and I just need to play a couple of chords fast. Otherwise, my Taylors reside in their cases with HumidPaks in the soundholes and under the necks. I keep a hygrometer in the case with my 814, and the humidity stays at a perfect 46% for the life of the HumidPaks, which in my house is about 2.5 months.

In a perfect world, I'd have a room devoted to guitar playing, a room in which I could install a humidification system. I'd love to be able to hang my Taylors on the wall for convenience, but that's not in the cards without a whole-room system.

Does this answer your question?

BigBear

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:41 am

Jason- usually I leave mine in the closet but since I joined TARGET I play and practice so much I leave 2 or 3 of them out most of the time so they are within reach. I live in the country so our house is one giant dust magnet but other than that I haven't noticed any problems.

Taylor has some very specific info on storage and humidity. But with 55-75% relative humidity re-humidification should not be an issue for you. These tone woods are really dry internally and I really question whether they will uptake any moisture even over the long haul.

But with your new baby I sure would do what Taylor suggests!

Take care buddy!

Cheers! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:45 am

Dennis:

Yes, that is the type of answer I was looking for. I did a google search, and answers were all over the place. My instinct tells me that with an instrument such as this, with all of the tonal changes that happen with very minor adjustments, it would be best if it was stored in it's case. I just was not sure. I read a fairly detailed article though that said it was good for your guitar to "air out" and "season"..... Again, that would probably depend on your local humidity.

I too would love a humidity controlled room that I could hang all of my guitars in and just grab the one I wanted to have a little fun....

Thanks Dennis!

J

wrench

Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Jason,

I would think you can't go wrong with Dennis' practice of storing the guitar in its case with some humidity control. I also think Bear is right about the uptake of moisture in tonewoods treated for use in guitars. All of these woods are at least dried to a specific moisture content and stored in controlled conditions. Additionally, premium guitars get additional treatments which I believe amounts to a cooking process to enhance its sound quality. I cannot cite a reference, but I recall reading that Taylor uses some very sophisticated and effective processes to prepare its tonewoods. From what I know of woods, that means - stable. I think a Taylor would lead the field in standing up to environmental conditions.

That said, and I invite anyone with more experience to pitch in here, but in my limited time with guitars, I kept one (my nicest one) in its case at all times with humidity control, and I kept my starter guitar in an open stand. I live in New England where the humidity is about 20%-30% in the winter, and we usually get a long bout of 60%+ in the summer. The only dimensional change I see in these guitars is the scale length, which occurs in the spring and the fall, requiring a truss rod adjustment. Whenever I notice one guitar needs a truss rod adjustment, the other one does, too. And when I adjust the truss rods, no further adjustment is necessary until the seasons change, even though the humidity is swinging wildly within that season. The rod must be shortened when the weather turns cold, and lengthened when the weather turns warm. The body widths and neck widths do not change, which suggests to me that the length changes because of thermal linear expansion. If the woods were absorbing moisture, they would get wider as well, but they don't.

So I think Bear is right. And I think Dennis is right. I think your new Taylor is tough as tool steel, but I think you're going to treat it like fine crystal.

Man, it sure is taking a long time for May to get here, isn't it?

Dan

MarkM

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Jason,

Good question and you've got some good answers as well. Here is what I do, which is in a different climate than you. If I'm at home and in my home office I have the DN8 in a stand next to my desk so that I can pick it up and relieve some stress during the day. Its 73 degrees and 39%RH in here right now. Not a huge deal. At the end of the day or if I go out on an appointment I will put the guitar back in its hardcase with the Oasis sound hole humidifier in it. I do that every night and anytime I'm not playing. Just before I put it away a use a towel to wipe down the neck and strings and then give it a quick once over with a dust cloth before closing the lid. Being in New Hampshire we get pretty dry for about 6 months a year. Down to the mid 20%'s. In the summer we have the AC going and that dries the air a bit as well. Maybe down to about 45-50%. I still use the Oasis but it the guitar won't suck up the water as quickly. Not sure if you are using a hydrometer or not but I would suggest doing it. Also when the guitar is out I close the case with the Oasis in it so that the case maintains humidity levels. That should go both ways as well. Also I always store the guitar in it's case because it is the safest place it can be. The brown case that you are going to get is very good and can withstand some punishment. Just leave it in there when you aren't using it. Between kids, Dogs, running to get the phone, not paying attention why take the risk. Not sure if this helps but its what I've been doing for a while.

MarkM

Music Junkie

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Bear: Thanks for the inf, and you are right. When the new toy gets here, it will be protected with my life....lol

Dan: I had read about wood treatment in the better guitars as well. That was in the same article that said to let them sit out. Made sense to me. Thanks for the reminder about the wait..... :silly: Luckily for me, I have been so damn busy at work that the time is flying by. May will be here tomorrow! B) B)

Mark: I like your methodology there. Leaving it out for use off and on during the day. Placing it back in the case for off times. Sounds safe to me. I am a bit ignorant about humidifiers and such, so it would seem that it may be prudent to check into that a bit. Would be very interested in looking into the items you and Dennis are using. Probably well worth the additional investment.... B)

Just can't believe this site sometimes..... Ask a question, and get good solid answers in a matter of a few minutes.....Sweet! :)

J

MarkM

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Jason,

When you get your guitar it will come with an information pack that will include humidification techniques and storing. You must be jumping out of your skin right now waiting. :) :)

MarkM

sws626

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:16 pm

I keep my Martin in its hardshell case with an Oasis humidifier and a hydrometer and keep the case closed when the guitar is out. The Oasis is okay, but needs to be refilled every few days. Where I live, I'm more concered about low humidity in winter than about high humidity. From what I've read on the subject, I don't think the levels you are talking about are a problem unless combined with high heat.

songman52

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Hey, if any of you guys are worried about the low humidity, send the guitars to me for a few months. Here in southeast Texas the humidity usually hovers between 80 and 100 percent. So, even with the A/C or heat on there's still plenty of humidity in the inside air. I'll take good care of them and play them regularly for you!

I leave my Ovation (1986 Custom Balladeer) on a stand next to the computer unless I'm taking it to practice or a gig, so it's easy to pick up when I'm at the TG website. I have a Martin (circa 1998?) that stays on a stand in the living room. Should I not be doing this? I've never given a lot of thought to humidity issues except when I'm reading forums like this one. I definitely don't need a humidifier, but should I be doing something to combat the high humidity (outside)?
What do you think? Any experts?

Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic