Have you stayed the course????

Music Junkie

Mon May 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Hey everyone:

I was doing a bit of reflection the other day when the TG anniversary came up. I started to think about what brought me to TG in the first place, and what I was looking for in joining up.

1. What brought me to TG??? - I was initially attracted to the site because of some YT videos Neil had up on simple strumming songs like "Still the Same". I was really impressed with Neil's style and his good humor. My biggest concern at that time was to be able to play some songs all the way through. I signed up for a free account and checked the site out. There was an old song by Blackfoot called "Tonight" that I had been wanting to learn for quite a while, but could not find any TAB and was certainly not talented enough to figure it out for myself. I sent Neil an e-mail and asked him about the song and for some direction. Later that same day (maybe first thing next day, can't remember) I had a GP tab for the first little bit! I was blown away! Anyway, I checked in with the site daily and got excited about the first TG live show. I watched that show and signed up for the Target program right away.

2. What was I looking for???? - I wanted to be able to play more songs all the way through, and to be able to figure some of them out for myself. I started off with the easier lessons like "Lucky Man" which was not so easy for me to begin with.... Then as more and more content started coming out, I got sidetracked (I am ABSOLUTELY sure this did not happen to any of you :silly: ). I found out that some of the stuff I thought I could never do, was beginning to be within reach. I got very excited, and got even further of course. Then what did Matt and Neil do? They added even more content (it's all their fault).

3. What did I find????? - Not only did I find more information than I knew what to do with, but I found lots of other folks out there that shared my musical interests, and some of the same struggles. I found answers to lots of questions that had eluded me for quite some time. I found confidence to attempt songs that I never would have before this site. I found that applying what I had learned from some of the lessons, I could now play several of the songs that I had always wanted to learn. Some examples:
Learning "Lucky Man" opened up the door to songs like "Indigo Passion" by Atlanta Rhythm Section, "In the Tradition" by Great White and a few others in 3/4 or 6/8 time. Learning "Still the Same" opened up songs like "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger, "Doolin' Dalton" by The Eagles, "My Stunning Mystery Companion" by Jackson Browne. A specific part of this being the better way to finger the G chord and the bit of info about strumming the open strings on the and of beat number 4. It started to become a bit easier to transcribe songs as well.

4. What am I working on now???? - I am trying to get back to the strumming and music library expansion..... B)

I have always been one that likes to stay a bit more focused, but this site made that very difficult for me at first, due to the tremendous amount of useful information. I can say that as of late, I have been trying to get back to the original goal I had. I will have to leave some of the more advanced stuff on the back burner, as I am having way too much fun with the strumming. I have also started to throw in some singing while playing. I really did not expect that I would get there, but once again, TG has proven me wrong.

I would love to hear from anyone else about their journey with TG so far...... B)

Jason

BobR

Mon May 03, 2010 6:47 pm

MJ,

Good thread.

I first came to TG because I found Still the Same also. I had tried on my own but once I saw how Neil taught I was hooked. When he talked about the Target thing I said to myself, Hmmm.. 20 bucks a month I think I'll give it a try. Best $20 I have spent. Little did I know how much content they would be adding. So much I have a hard time concentrating on any one thing, I am definitely not complaining I love it, I just need to focus more on a few songs at a time.

Before TG I would pick up the guitar occasionally but now if I don't pick it up everyday I feel as though I missing something. I can now play a number of songs and I try to play with a friend on Friday nights and I feel comfortable that I can just play a lead or whatever comes up.

I wanted to be able to just pick up the guitar and play a couple of tunes , but because of TG I have the ability( or at least the best resource) to learn so much.

I am also trying to sing while playing, It's a real challenge but I wouldn't have even attempted singing before. (may be that's a good thing)

TG is way more than I ever expected. I am still a long way from where I would like to be but I am sure having fun getting there.

I am trying to get some video posted soon, but with all this forum stuff is hard to practice :laugh: :laugh:

Bob

Music Junkie

Mon May 03, 2010 6:57 pm

BobR wrote:
Before TG I would pick up the guitar occasionally but now if I don't pick it up everyday I feel as though I missing something.
Bob:

I am with you 100% there! My wife gives me a hard time (jokingly of course) about my guitar these days. I really do feel as though I am missing out on something special if a day goes by and I don't play. Even if it only for 5 minutes or so. TG has really given me a gift. It has surpassed my hopes by such an incredible amount.

Thanks for chiming in on this. I just thought it would be cool to hear what all of you have gone through and if you have gotten what you want out of the site. I know I have..... :) :) :) :)

Jason

thereshopeyet

Mon May 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks

wrench

Mon May 03, 2010 7:58 pm

This is going to be a great thread Jason, and you make it very tempting to really cut loose here, but I'm mostly gonna sit this one out save for a couple of main points.

I'm only writing at all to recognize the progress of my fellow TG'ers. Collectively, the accomplishments of the "video posters' club" is hard to describe or quantify, but it is truly amazing. I recently reviewed all of the student videos, and the progress over the last eight months cannot be mistaken - everyone is a better player now. The creativity and courage to branch into other instruments, technology, and forms of music is very widespread and successful as well. I have to believe non-posters are having equal success, but video documentation is simply irrefutable.

What does this say for Neil and TARGET program? Well, I think the above says it.

The community provides much of the synergy that drove us into success, and I for one would be very, very, unhappy to see the community any other way. TG is just guitar paradise.

Yes, I have stayed the course, even though I had to re-define the course after achieving my initial objectives here in about the first month. Where I've been, where I'm at, and where I'm going were just never on my radar screen.

I am really looking forward to hearing fellow TG'ers share the difference in their lives TG has made.

Dan

tovo

Mon May 03, 2010 8:41 pm

It's a great topic, one I never get sick of talking about. I thought I would share my thoughts as MJ and others have done.

I first picked up a guitar around 18 months ago. I have always loved music and listened constantly, admiring so much people who could pick up an instrument and make their own music. So many of the members here are players from way back whose lives simply got in the way. In many cases I suspect, a matter of vocation over avocation. For me, vocation was everything, to the detriment of so much in my life. As I have matured, I have come to realise that when I die, nobody is going to eulogize about the profit figures I managed to achieve in any given year. I told myself to chill out a little and made a commitment to learn guitar and enjoy the journey more than I had.

I found a lot of sites that were available to help me, and I used them all. Some more than others. I think that I had no hesitation joining TG because 20 bucks a month was very affordable for me and I figured if it went bad I could opt out. What I found was a really strong community of very interesting and talented people.

The opportunity to record music, get great feedback and apply it to improvement is for me, the aspect of this site that sets it apart. Getting feedback from other members is simply wonderful, and getting feedback from Neil is like icing on the cake. To have a guy of his ability address your playing is worth it's weight in gold.

TG has helped me enormously in so many ways. I have something creative in my life, I have the joy of watching others improve out of sight, and I have a bunch of people I've never had the opportunity to meet whom I call friends. I can't imagine that I would have had anywhere near as much joy in learning guitar without TG, and with each passing month I feel more confident that I belong.

OK that's my book, for what it is worth.

Lavallee

Mon May 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks Jason for bringing this up.

The key point for me to join was classical gas. I had tried with music sheets and teachers. But nobody was playing the song to my satisfaction, so I was not really learning because I did not want to start on the wrong track and relearn over and over. Then I saw Neil Video on the internet which brougth me to the site. That was just before Target and since he had promised a lesson on it, I joined. I knew I wanted to learn from this guy who could communicate passion for guitar, not just play well.

I have been divorced for over a year now and having more time to spend on my own I just thought that this community that was quickly developping was very friendly and available whenever I was. It was the first forum I really participated too, as like Tony said, I did not feel threaten by my question being too low level and getting snapped at. I liked that Matt kept everything straight and I appreciated his creativity. I felt I was quickly improving my guitar playing but that other peoples were having the same difficulties than me.

So without having objectives before like Jason was suggesting at first, I have developped a path instead, with the intention to play some songs similar to how Neil would play them which would mean that my technique would improved a lot. So I think I will be here for a while.

Marc

willem

Tue May 04, 2010 3:55 am

Jason,,yeah they found me,,and the ''get hooked'' thing is all there fault..

Ive bin here from the beginning(Target) and man all the songs out my youth,,,

I tryed myself with other YT lessons,,(ive had a some lessons private),,but then when Neil gives his lessons then i know it was more the right way(that's why i get hooked),

OF course its the whole community,,,its not how good you are,,its how you progress,,

Was i looking for something,,i think so,but they give it to me everyday..i like all of the lessons and i' all over the place(that's not good),,but its nice to look at the lessons and then there comes a song that i really wanna play all Through and stay with it,,man i for me discoverd the Beatles here and love it,,

Do i PROGRESS,,WELL friends say i do,,,

For the further i think that the adventure only get bigger and we gonna do things we never exspect to do,,,,,

Now i wanna thank everybody for being here and they are gone but ''both thumbs up'''
and joy the Yourney....

AndyT

Tue May 04, 2010 4:23 am

I played mandolin pretty well as a kid and life got in the way. About 3 1/2 years ago, I told my wife I'd like to buy a guitar and learn how to play. She said Ok.
Fast forward a year after not being able to find anyone that had the time or low price I needed. I started looking around online for someone to learn from. I looked at many sites with the sole intent of finding someone that could really play to learn from. I had set out a short list of things that had to be met in order for me to go with them.
After looking at literally hundreds of guitar teachers on YouTube, I had pretty much settled on one when a friend sent me a video of Neil. I was interested so I signed up for the free membership. The first couple of iterations of the TG website did not impress me, but Neil's smile and his bouts of ADD as he taught were the things that kept me coming back. Finally I joined Target and my goals flew out the window.
I have been teaching a basic beginners guitar class for 21/2 years and now I feel qualified to teach it. I know enough theory and my skill level is such that I can take someone who has no idea of which end to strum and in a few weeks they will be able to play simple songs on basic open chords. That is a huge accomplishment.

Now I'm working on becoming an intermediate level player myself so I can bring my students to a higher level. Ok Neil, get busy fixing my technique. I've got a lot of work to do. LOL

EDIT:
Now when someone hands me a chord/lyric sheet, I can almost play it first time through. I learn songs in minutes now instead of weeks.

Music Junkie

Tue May 04, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks for responding everyone! I really enjoy hearing about how and why you became a member, as well as how you have progressed and shaped your paths.

So many of us just stumbled upon this site and thought "well $20.00 is a small price to pay for a month, and I can cancel if I don't like it.....". Suckers!!!!!!!!!! We had no chance. They had us before we even paid our dues....lol

Thereshopeyet: I am with you on needing to get the courage to post more videos... B)

Dan: I'll venture a serious guess that lots of TG folks have revised their path due to achieving their goals very quickly here and needing to move forward. I will be doing that in the near future I am sure..... :)

Tony: You are so right! Getting feedback from Neil is a damn fine tool. Even though I am a complete and utter chicken about posting videos, I watch all of yours and the others that are not chickens.....lol The feedback from the responders, and the feedback from Neil has helped me out as well by using that info in my practice.... B)

Marc: There are so many versions of songs out there, but when you find the one that sounds right to you, it feels good to learn it! I am a big fan of the way Neil will presents a song in a simple form for those of us who still struggle with many things, but then also gives us the tools to develop that song into more detailed piece. Forming your path with all of the tools at your disposal will be an interesting trip for you. I look forward to that..... :)

Willem: Yes, it is all Matt's and Neil's fault..... :silly: It is great to get compliments from your friends. I love hearing my wife tell me that a song I have been playing sounds really good now. Such a sense of accomplishment... :)

Andy: To go from a relative beginner to teaching students is an incredible leap for you! The building blocks we have been given are certainly forming a pretty sold foundation. Kudos to you for sharing your gift. Neil is pretty busy though, cause he has to fix all of my technique problems as well, and there are sooooo many of them.... :silly:

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic