Repaired Guitar

smips65

Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Just wanted to share with all of you.

There's been some discord in my life recently, so instead of getting angry and getting all hung up on things I can't control, decided to finish a project I've been working on for about 6 months.

A very broken guitar.

2 cracks in the neck
loose fretboard
loose saddle
really bad bridge
really bad tuners

and the results....

well I'm pleased.

All in all, only $150.00 bucks invested in this baby. The joy and satisfaction in a job well done......priceless

Forgive the horrid chicken-pecking playing on display here. This was much more about breathing new life into a very crippled, and wounded instrument.

[video][/video]

Music Junkie

Tue May 04, 2010 7:58 pm

smips:

Looked good from what I could see. Sounded fine too. What make and model is it, and did you do the repairs at home yourself?

I have been doing a lot of research about building guitars, and am currently on a waiting list for a couple of workshops here in southern CA. I have a some pretty good wood working tools here at home that I do most of my home remodels and various projects with. Been looking at heater/benders, and finding varying info on them. At any rate, I admire the fact that you took that on. Not only did you fix it, but you how it was done, and you get the satisfaction that goes along with it.

Cheers!

Jason

haoli25

Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Great job, but we need details! :) What was the most difficult of the repairs? Did you replace the neck or repair the cracks?

Music Junkie

Tue May 04, 2010 8:06 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Great job, but we need details! :) What was the most difficult of the repairs? Did you replace the neck or repair the cracks?
Good questions! Would like to know the answer to those as well... B)

smips65

Tue May 04, 2010 8:30 pm

haoli25 wrote:

I'm sorry, I should have been more forthcoming with those details.

The guitar itself is a knockoff of a Martin D-35, with the composite back.
A 1969 Aims, if any of you have heard of TF Morris, this was the sister company in Japan.

The materials of course are questionable, Brazelian Rosewood body, with a Flame Maple insert for the back. Very difficult to verify the authenticity, but I've been informed that if you sand B-Rosewood, it smells like bubble-gum, which this did.

The neck was cracked, but not broken off, so a watered down glue and clamps took care of the fretboard, cracks and side-binding on the neck.

The saddle was pulling off, so I removed it, sanded, and re-glued it, with some screws for additional strength.

The stock bridge assembly was an adjustable metal plate, with a compensated plastic bridge. Once the neck was solid, the poor thing sounded like a banjo.

So... I fashioned an Ebony insert in lieu of the plastic/metal POS.

The nut was the most difficult part, for me at least, it is also ebony, since it was the cheapest of materials at hand for the repair, go figure. Image Image Image Image

haoli25

Tue May 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Really nice job! I have a D-35 and it looks pretty darn close to me. Thanks for the pictures.

dieguy

Tue May 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey Smips, Nice work. That looks like a lot of work with a great deal of attention to detail. Thanks for sharing.

tovo

Tue May 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Very nice work. I really like the back inlay and the fingerboard looks to be in nice shape. Thanks for the post I found that interesting and good work on channeling your feelings into something so positive.

smips65

Tue May 04, 2010 9:50 pm

tovo wrote:
Very nice work. I really like the back inlay and the fingerboard looks to be in nice shape. Thanks for the post I found that interesting and good work on channeling your feelings into something so positive.
Thanks Tovo

Dieguy can chime in on this one too.

This past Saturday, a friend of mine was killed, well executed would be a better word for it. I just had to do something positive, and the guitar is named "Joey" after my bud.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_15011458

I live in Maplewood, and have known Joe for over 20 years. Words cannot describe how I feel about this. So, instead of anger or frustration, just decided to make something out of nothing as it were.

As I've said b4, I'm rather shy, and normally would not post a vid of myself playing, but, in honor of those fallen, I made a step in I what I hope is a new beginning.

If you want better pics of the git, go here...

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=15263

:blush:

haoli25

Tue May 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Sorry for your loss. What a nice tribute for your friend. :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic