Bedell Guitars - Anybody know about or have an opinion?

dieguy

Tue May 04, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi, A small guitar shop in town started carrying a new brand of guitars. The namebrand is Bedell which is also the name of there premium line. They also have "great Divide" which is there mid level line. The Bedell's are all solid wood construction I believe while the Great Divides are Solid tops with Sapele sides and back. They have a Dreadnaught, Jumbo, Orchestra and Parlor shapes withh all of the usual wood choices.

There is an interesting story behind the owner of the company Tom Bedell. He started Bedell guitars back in the mid sixties then gave it up to run his fathers company, which you may have heard of if you are a fisherman, Berkley/Trilene. He has recently sold Berkley/Trilene for $500 million dollars and restarted Bedell Guitars. I played a few and they really are put together well and play very nicely and the prices are very good. I believe he has all of his guitars made overseas but picks all of the woods and designs himself. His business plan is to compete with Martin and Taylor in terms of quality at a much more attractive pricepoint. I was curious if any of you have come across these guitars and if so what are your opinions of them.

Bill

Music Junkie

Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Bill:

Where is local to you? I have been to several stores around my area recently in search of my new toy, but have not come across Bedell.

I found this little tidbit though.

Jason

dieguy

Tue May 04, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Jason, Very cool clip, Thank you very much for posting. I am in St. Paul Minnesota. I consider myself an intermediate player at best and have been drooling over a couple Taylors for quite some time but couldn't scrape up the coin. I have to admit I am beginning to reconsider my options and take a hard look at these, I was pretty impressed.

Here is some more info I found on the web:

Bill

haoli25

Tue May 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Interesting story Bill. His new guitar business is certainly well-funded! :) Have you had a chance to do a direct comparison with the Bedell guitars and the Martins or Taylors?

'Other' Bill

dieguy

Tue May 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Interesting story Bill. His new guitar business is certainly well-funded! Have you had a chance to do a direct comparison with the Bedell guitars and the Martins or Taylors?

'Other' Bill

Hey Bill, No this guitar shop carries Washburn, Ibanez and now the Bedells. He had an entry level Martin which I compared side by side and the Bedell was head and shoulders better in my opinion in terms of sound, feel and ease of play but like I said this was an entry level used Martin and I have never been a huge fan of Martins lower level guitars. I am definitely more of a Taylor guy and these Bedell's made an impression on me.

Bill

smips65

Tue May 04, 2010 9:32 pm

I have played those, and I thought they were very good.

BTW that Guild in your avatar, which model?

I have a GAD-50, and absolutely love it.

dieguy

Tue May 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Hey Smips its a 1996 Westerly RI Made Guild F5ce. I absolutely love the tone but I don't know if I will ever get used to the Nut Width. Where did you play the Bedell? If I remember correctly you are from Maplewood right? I saw them at Eclipse in West St Paul. they only had 3 Bedells and a bunch of Great Divides. I would like to look at some more Bedells if anybody else in town carries them.

Thanks,

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic