I could just cry

haoli25

Wed May 05, 2010 6:28 pm

To follow up on Brad's suggestion, there are all kinds of luthiers. Some are nothing more than "string-changers" at the local music store, while others are true experts in the field. There are also many luthiers that specialize in restoration of damaged instruments. If you are in the USA, the Guild of American Luthiers can help you find just the right person to help you.

http://www.luth.org/

Bill

smips65

Wed May 05, 2010 6:32 pm

B) You rang?

I truly understand how you feel about this guitar. I lost my mother and father, and have really nothing in the way of mementos to remember, some little things I've already passed onto my children.

Just what did the tech say was wrong with the saddle?
The pegs mean nothing, at the moment, so disregard that comment.

I'll assume the pegs are at the bottem of the guitar.

Is the saddle loose? or lifting? or is there a "bulge" below it, on the sound-board.

If you are handy with tools, glue, sandpaper, and basic woodworking techniques, in general, PM me if you would like to tackle this.

BTW, you'll need a decent digital camera, I'll need photos.

The 60 bucks you have, is more than enough, what you'll need most, is time, and patience, and a willingness to learn.

Take it from me, restoring an old girl is so self-fulfilling. It certainly gave me the courage to post a vid, and believe me, I'm so shy it's tragic.

Jeff

abbenormal

Wed May 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Thank you guys! I appreciate the support. I will save up and see what I can do. My friend's dentist is a Luthier. Maybe I will check to see what it would cost. I know it isn't something I could do myself. I don't even know the proper names of the parts.

If the saddle means the little wooden bar at the bottom of the guitar where you tie the strings,(or is that a bridge?) that is the part that concerned them to the point they wouldn't re-string it. He showed me a slight separation where he said it is lifting up and they were afraid any tension on it would make it pop off completely. He said the pegs are old and might not be good, but I tune it and I've not had any problems. Well, she is old.

I wish I knew more about the maker. There is no name on it. It just says Made in Western Germany inside the soundhole. And I know my dad bought it new at a local music store back in the early 60's. I think it cost 60 or 70 dollars new. Funny the things we get attached to. But she will sit next to me, just as she always has since my brother gave her to me. I will play her as long as I can and get her fixed when things change for me. :)

smips65

Wed May 05, 2010 7:25 pm

abbenormal wrote:
Thank you guys! I appreciate the support. I will save up and see what I can do. My friend's dentist is a Luthier. Maybe I will check to see what it would cost. I know it isn't something I could do myself. I don't even know the proper names of the parts.

If the saddle means the little wooden bar at the bottom of the guitar where you tie the strings,(or is that a bridge?) that is the part that concerned them to the point they wouldn't re-string it. He showed me a slight separation where he said it is lifting up and they were afraid any tension on it would make it pop off completely. He said the pegs are old and might not be good, but I tune it and I've not had any problems. Well, she is old.

I wish I knew more about the maker. There is no name on it. It just says Made in Western Germany inside the soundhole. And I know my dad bought it new at a local music store back in the early 60's. I think it cost 60 or 70 dollars new. Funny the things we get attached to. But she will sit next to me, just as she always has since my brother gave her to me. I will play her as long as I can and get her fixed when things change for me. :)

The "Saddle" is the wood brace that holds the strings at the bottem. Your tech said it was lifting, that only means the glue joint is failing, not a big deal.

The "Bridge" is the white hard piece of material that the strings are angled over, to lift them above the soundhole.

Now, that said, there are 2 ways to handle this, but I need an answer to my previous post, are you comfy with some hands on repair work?

abbenormal

Wed May 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Thank you smips for that info. I'd rather not attempt anything myself. I'm very bad at things like that and I don't want to take any chances as she is what I play right now. I'll just save up and see about getting her fixed. But thank you again for wanting to help. :)

smips65

Wed May 05, 2010 8:03 pm

:unsure:

I understand, just please don't get ripped off by some junkyard tech trying to sell you on this thing needs a ton o money from you to keep it alive. It just ain't true.

Abby, I'm sure you can handle some glue, with a couple of small screws, thats all it will take.

But it's your baby, you need to feel comfy with the choice.

Jeff

johnrfeeney

Fri May 07, 2010 8:11 pm

no matter what - keep it and try to have it repaired

i served on the USS Saratoga - a sister of the Forrestor - my carrier was CV-60

i'm sorry for your pain

abbenormal

Sun May 09, 2010 2:19 am

Thank you John. I'm glad you got home safe and sound like my brother did. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic