I could just cry

abbenormal

Wed May 05, 2010 11:26 am

I just need sympathy, I guess. I just took my old (mid 60's) classical to have it restrung and tuned. I had to trade my 12 string (on the right in pic) for store credit so that I could have my acoustic/electric (the black one) and the classical restrung and tuned. Picked up the A/E today but was told that my classical can't be restrung. They said it has major problems. The bridge is lifting and the tuning pegs etc. This guitar is just very special to me so I'm really bummed. My brother gave it to me when he headed to Viet Nam. His ship (the USS Forestal) caught fire and had to return for repairs so I was lucky to have him in my life for many years. He has now passed on and this guitar has sentimental value as well as it is the only one I really play. OK...sorry to unload. No one needs to answer. I just needed to vent it out. I could just cry.

buzz_187

Wed May 05, 2010 11:40 am

Maybe a second opinion is in order? im sure theres someone out there that could probably fix all that, maybe?

abbenormal

Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 am

They said they could send it somewhere, but I don't have that kind of money, I'm afraid. Maybe someday when I'm in the chips again. :)

sws626

Wed May 05, 2010 11:47 am

Very sorry to hear this. I think it would be worth taking it to another luthier for a second opinion, as buzz suggests.

I'm not quite sure I understand how the 12 string could be a fair exchange for a restring & tuning of the other two.

-Stuart

BigBear

Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 am

If it is special to you maybe just re-string it without any tension on the strings so you won't be able to play it. But you can still keep it for sentimental value. Nobody said you have to get rid of it did they?

There are tons of classical guitars, new and used, available for cheap right now. Just pick up one to play and keep the other one for what it means to you. I think all of us get pretty attached to our guitars. Guitars and dogs! lol!

I also like Buzz' idea of having another repair tech look at it.

Good luck! :cheer:

abbenormal

Wed May 05, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for the great idea. Yes, I will always keep it as I feel somehow tied to it, although that must sound strange. Even the thought of leaving her overnight with someone sent me into a mini panic. LOL

The store gave me a 100.00 store credit for the guitar and case. I know it wasn't the best deal, but I really wanted to get the others taken care of. The good news is I still have 60 some odd dollars left and maybe if I can save up, I can get a little electric with a whammy bar like I've always wanted. They have some there that are only 119 dollars.

I'll try to stay positive and hope that I am in the position one day to take care of the old girl. :)

Music Junkie

Wed May 05, 2010 12:33 pm

You might hit up smips65 here in the forums. He just did some sweet repairs to one of his guitars, and it turned our great. If you are at all handy with tools and woodworking, maybe you could give it a go. Check out this thread....

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/7-a ... red-guitar

Jason

izzyhara

Wed May 05, 2010 4:28 pm

This is always so sad. And you have gotten some good suggestions. Second opinion if one is readily available. That's not always possible. I like the idea of just keeping it and giving it a place of honor. I guess you have to weigh how important it is to make music with it. But it is so sad when you get a heart break like that. We all feel for ya.... Izzy

abbenormal

Wed May 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Thank you for the link Jason. And thank you Izzy for the sympathy. I can tell you understand the emotional tie. I appreciate all of your responses so much. :)

thereshopeyet

Wed May 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic