GP6 update

tom18

Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi all,
I began using GP6 today and was alerted that it needed to be updated. I allowed the update and it proceeded uneventfully. However when I restarted GP6 I could no longer find the scores that I previously had available. Has anyone else had this happen? I can fairly easily download the scores from TARGET again, but I had several that I had entered by hand--a tedious process. I'm only a beginner with the guitar but my skill level with computers is fairly high. Very disturbing!
Tom

dennisg

Fri May 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Tom,

Are you saying that you have no idea where on your computer your scores are stored or that GP6 won't let you navigate to them?

BigBear

Fri May 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Tom- I suspect your scores are still there but GP has saved them to a default folder which may under the program files and not where you intended to save them. Always hit "Save As" and not "Save" when saving your files so that they are saved where you want them to be located!

With any piece of software save your work frequently and make backups of all important data. I don't trust anything electronic! lol!

Good luck! :cheer:

p.s. do a global search of ".gp*" on your harddrive and they should show up!

tom18

Fri May 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Dennis, Bear,
Thanks for your replies. To be honest, I wasn't paying any attention to the default location where GP6 stores files. After the upgrade and after I realized I couldn't access the files from the Open command in GP6's File menu, I did a pretty careful search and found nothing. I downloaded a .gp5 file from Totally Guitars and stored it on my desktop. Windows search easily finds it when I enter '*.gp5' as the file name but finds nothing else. If I repeat the search entering '*.gp6' it finds nothing. Note that I've designated that it search drives C: (a 1 TB RAID array I use for programs) and drive E: (a 1 TB drive I use for data). Here's a snapshot of the search result. I think the GP6 updater did something strange....
Thanks
Tom Image

mark

Sat May 08, 2010 3:10 am

for gp6 the file extension is .gpx
try a search on that

tom18

Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 am

Good call Mark. However the search still found no matching files. ARGGH!
Tom
Have you or anyone else received the notice to you upgrade Guitar Pro?
I got it on May 7 although I hadn't run the software for several of the previous days.

Lavallee

Sat May 08, 2010 8:17 am

I did 2 or 3 updates already and I am at version 6.02 Release 7898. It is possible that your antivirus migth have done something to the update as it was flagged by mine that guitar pro was trying to download something and I had to allow it. I have McAffee.

Marc

tom18

Sat May 08, 2010 8:29 am

Marc,
I now have Guitar Pro Version 6.02 r7898 also. I don't think that my antivirus software is the culprit. I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. It's highly rated and has never interfered with the other software updates I've done. Incidentally, sent a note to Guitar Pro customer support yesterday but have not received a response yet. Thanks,
Tom

jim56

Sat May 08, 2010 8:39 am

tom18 wrote:
Good call Mark. However the search still found no matching files. ARGGH!
Tom
Have you or anyone else received the notice to you upgrade Guitar Pro?
I got it on May 7 although I hadn't run the software for several of the previous days.
Hey Tom,

I got a notice that GP needed to update, version is now 6.0.2 r7898 (4/26/2010).

Jim

tom18

Sat May 08, 2010 10:10 am

Jim,
Are your music files still intact? I'm pretty sure now that mine are lost. Fortunately most are available from Totally Guitars, there were two that I'd entered myself from printed copies.
Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic