What does your wife/husband/partner think of your playing?

wrench

Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 pm

I can be silent on this one no more.

Dennis, my friend, thank you for starting this thread because I believe you just discovered the magic bond in the TG community - we play for each other. I positively cherish every video post by a TG'er, and every video I ever posted got positive feedback from the community respecting my effort and tolerating the result. So it is for the community that I push forward. We play for each other. And it is magic.

It is clear that the majority of us would like to play for someone else, who in varying degrees may be indifferent, or worse, to those expressions.

My case is not yet mentioned - I'm a bit of an overachiever, so my wife has admitted she supports my playing because she loves to see me struggle, and hopes to see me ultimately fail at guitar.

Iz, I'll play you a song if you play me one.

izzyhara

Fri May 14, 2010 7:01 pm

wrench wrote:
Iz, I'll play you a song if you play me one.
It's a deal. TG is my support group and I love it!! Don't need Victor to be involved. That is his choice. Here I learn and grow and love and laugh.... and I totally appreciate all the consideration here. I am working on a cool song, Wrench. I have been reluctant to record it because it really did hurt, deep, to discover V felt the way he does. But I will get back to it and get a song up, just for you !!
Didn't mean to sound like a "true confessions" novel, or worse, a whiner. It's just the way it is, and I didn't see any reason to not share. Y'all have learned that about me by now.

michelew

Fri May 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Let it all out Izzy. It's good for the soul. Out with sadness, in with love. There's my ration of hippie trippie for today.

Chasplaya

Fri May 14, 2010 7:18 pm

I believe my Wife is very supportive, she has even been with me to purchase most of my guitars giving advice on the sound saying which she believed was better.

But rather than me say I thought what better way than to get her to write her comments about my guitar playing and hobby.

So without further ado heres Jill:

Hi I am Jill and have been with Charles for 10 Years now, when I first met him he looked good with his guitar but the sounds did not always match the look :unsure:
I encouraged him to take private lessons and he improved enormously :)
Then due to financial constraints the private lessons went by the by and along came Guitar Pro. He loved Guitar Pro and kept improving, albeit spending more time on the computer. Along came a second computer for me to use :blink:
Then Charles discovered Totally Guitars and his playing and enthusiasm just keeps getting better, alas prying him off the guitar or forum is a mission nowadays. Sometimes I think he talks to you guys more than me :ohmy: but hey his playing and confidence in singing is continually improving and he can now play complete songs compared to the favourite bits that he used to play and I often sing along, but not in public as my voice leaves a lot to be desired :S
Thanks to Totally Guitars Charles is now in my opinion an accomplished guitarist and I am a guitar/computer widow. :dry:

wammer

Fri May 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Hey Jill

Nice to meet you (mrs. chas)

CHARLES...EH!!!!

My husband is very supportive...He bought me my first guitar for my 18th Birthday( the one I never played for 25 years YIKES) He is generally the one making sure I have it with me when we go out. No he doesnt like to be around while Im practising and goofing around at home but his chest does get a little puffy when were out and im the one playing and singin. Oh and he did get together for my 45th Birthday with all my friends and bought me a pretty blue Turner with a pick up so I could plug in with all my guitar buddies. Sooooooo my answer is yup my better half is supportive.

Tammy

haoli25

Fri May 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
:S
Thanks to Totally Guitars Charles is now in my opinion an accomplished guitarist and I am a guitar/computer widow. :dry:

Thanks for sharing Jill. That Chas is one lucky muppet! :laugh:

Bill

tom18

Fri May 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Dennis,
I guess I also fall into that middle of the road crowd. Marcia is incredibly supportive of my playing and taking lessons etc. but has no interest in getting involved. If I told her I wanted some exotic new gear she'd find a way to get it for me. She doesn't want to hang while I practice (thankfully) and usually doesn't comment on what she hears. However, it's getting warmer in NJ and we spent a little time together on the patio one warm evening recently. I started going through a few exercises and at one point played a bit of something new I'm working on (probably a TG 3 or 4 tune). This incredible woman immediately perked up and nailed it. That was a watershed moment. I pretty much suck so it was very gratifying to have her recognize it.
Tom

dieguy

Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 pm

My wife is defintely more supportive of my guitar playing this time around than my brother was when I first tried to play when I was a teenager. But that is not saying much my brother got so sick of my guitar playing back then that he hurled a fullsize Minneapolis/St. Paul phone book at me while I was playing and punctured a 4" hole in the face of my brand new entry level Washburn acoustic I had just purchased a week earlier. I could have killed him. I still tell him to this day that he owes me a guitar.

As for now, my wife doesn't mind too much, She gets a little sick of it as I tend to go overboard when I get involved with things like this. I have a room in the basement that she likes to call my "Mancave" that I get to escape to for several hours a week. She definitely lets me here it when I spend too much time in there. I have 2 sons that I still have hopes of getting involved in my hobby, We will have to see.

cosmicmechanic

Sat May 15, 2010 1:49 am

Dennis, you asked a simple, valid question and to put it mildly ... you got a point there.

The poll results so far do not indicate that we can immediately hope to see a worldwide collaboration video of TG Members and their life-partners. I am no different.

At the end of the day, your partner, LIKE YOU, has gotta REALLY WANT to learn to play or sing the SAME THING AS YOU. Not just HOPE to play or sing it, but to actually LEARN IT. If that is NOT your partner's goal then they have got other things to do, maybe save the whales (or your kids), which is even better than getting your scales by heart.

But it is kinda a bummer to be passionate about playing music and not getting the needed inspiration and feedback. :( :dry:

Should I really be concentrating more on home renovation like my wife says? Hmmm....

Anyway, I've always found it VERY vErY StRaNGe that SO FEW people consider themselves musicians or singers at ANY level, like it is some kind of cultural starvation.

I guess that's why I'm here on TG.
To hopefully connect with you musical nutcases if time permits :blink:

On a positive note, I AM HAPPY when my wife tells me my guitar playing has improved since TG.
I've also never been shy to play and sing around my kids and friends, but since TG I do sense some relief among them :)

Pierre

Catman

Sat May 15, 2010 5:33 am

I asked my wife what she feels about my guitar playing, and she said that she enjoys it. She likes what I play, and likes hearing me improve.

There is no chance of her joining in, singing or playing, because she is not musical and can't sing (by her own admission, mind you, but she ain't wrong), but she does enjoy music of all sorts.

She doesn't object to money spent on guitars and gear, although she doesn't understand why a Taylor 814 is better than a $50 beater, and why I need so many guitars. What she does object to is the space all this gear takes up in the house!

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic