What does your wife/husband/partner think of your playing?

haoli25

Thu May 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Water and Oil!!!! :) Diane only likes Country music (she thinks everything else sucks), I on the other hand, would rather face Dr. Fred with a mallet and chisel then listen to Country music. :laugh: Fortunately, she like to shop without benefit of my worthless fashion opinions and I like to practice in peace and quiet.

Bill Image

michelew

Thu May 13, 2010 4:29 pm

tovo wrote:
After talking to a few mates on TG I think I should thank my lucky stars that I have such a supportive partner.
Me too. Mine has a naturally good singing voice, which I love to hear. So I'm trying to coax her into doing just that. No luck so far. I've told her that I'll learn anything she's willing to sing... Still waiting. She has said that she'll sing with me sometime. So I need to find the right song.

Sue actually created this monster; the guitar playing me. She bought me my Yamaha and got me started last April by pretending to start the music lessons that come with GarageBand in iLife. I knew what she was doin'...very sneaky...

She often pops her head into my music room while I'm playing and says 'that's sounding really good' or 'that's really pretty', etc. Or when I was learning 'Irish Dance' she would do a dance past.

She sometimes tells me that she feels like a guitar widow. But, I think I'm currently finding the right balance. I was spending too much time on the forum at one point. Now occasionally if I'm really stressed from work or feeling blue she says 'why don't you go and play your guitar for a while'. Ahhhhh music to my ears.

Our daughter is dabbling in the guitar these days. So at some point I'll try and rope her into TG so she can really get a fire under her learning. May be we can find songs to learn/play together and then my Susie won't have a chance, she'll be singing before she realises it.

Interesting thread Dennis. Thanks.

Music Junkie

Thu May 13, 2010 5:18 pm

michelew wrote:
Sue actually created this monster; the guitar playing me.

Our daughter is dabbling in the guitar these days. So at some point I'll try and rope her into TG so she can really get a fire under her learning. May be we can find songs to learn/play together and then my Susie won't have a chance, she'll be singing before she realises it.

Interesting thread Dennis. Thanks.
Michele:

My wife is who started me as well (sort of). I was looking at guitars one day and she told me I could buy one if I took lessons......She is probably regretting that fiercely these days... :laugh:

My oldest son (8yrs - 9 in July)just started taking lessons with me on Friday nights. I also let him sit with me when I hook my laptop up to the big screen TV (run a HDMI cable up to the TV and get Neil's lessons in HD at 52")!. He is starting to get better and better, and my wife loves to listen to us. My youngest son (6yrs) has a Dean acoustic guitar and beats on it once in a while, but has not really come around yet. My wife has a guitar that her grandmother left her. I keep trying to get her to try it out, but no luck yet... B)

sws626

Thu May 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Great thread, Dennis.

My partner isn't what you'd call musically inclined, but is generally supportive, especially since the guitar has eclipsed my interests in riding motorcycles and racing cars.

She wishes I would play more Dylan, but doesn't care much for the blues. She's usually working or reading while I practice. I wouldn't say she actively listens, which I don't mind at all, but she says she finds the scale work soothing.

The modest guitar collection under the bed is a bit of an issue. We haven't discussed how much they cost, but she's not thrilled that its grown and is positively hostile about the (really very small and tastefully dressed in tweed) amp in the living room.

Our daughter is another story altogether. She dances to any music she hears, plays on her own little guitar for as long as her two-year-old attention span can bear and gets upset if I don't "play harder."

-Stuart

johnrfeeney

Thu May 13, 2010 9:06 pm

Nanci has played the piano and is talking about picking it up again

i cannot believe that she has endured my fretboard madness, scales and yes the dorian, ionian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian, and locrian - (old dogs can learn new tricks)

i'm even walking around saying WWhalf, WWWhalf, Whalf,WWWhalf,W etc

she's a doll - wonders why i need to learn this stuff but doesn't mind it

guess i'd have to say that she is worth thousands of the best guitars i could even own and then some

AcousticAl

Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 pm

My wife is very supportive of my guitar playing. I can tell she's proud at how far I've progressed since TG. She'll occasionally ask me to play something when we have company or family over. PRESSURE!! I keep waiting for the day that I don't get nervous when that happens.

She's not as supportive when it comes to my singing. I don't sing when she's home.
Her loss. B)

AndyT

Fri May 14, 2010 4:25 am

My wife is very understanding.
She offers suggestions on occasion, but mostly says nothing. Every now and then she make a comment about how much I've improved.
From time to time she will play with me on her Uke. We will play until her fingers get sore and she has to quit. I keep telling her she needs to play more often, but it's not a major thing for her.

izzyhara

Fri May 14, 2010 12:49 pm

Interesting thread, and unfortunately, a little painful for me. Victor encouraged me originally to "get back into the guitar" as he knew how much it had meant to me when I was younger. Now, I believe there is pretty severe resentment for the amount of time I spend at my hobby. I cannot play in front of him - or even around him. He acts peeved if he can hear me. That's why my practice space was so important to me. So now instead of being encouraging or helpful, he resists. I started out with TG playing all the time and now I hardly play at all when he's around. Fortunately, my money is my own, so there is no resistance toward the amount of money I spend. And it is such a shame to defy someone who finds so much joy in something so uncomplicated. I mean it's not like I am having an affair. Well, maybe I am having affairs - with all of you and Neil and my Taylors. Jealousy is a strange thing. And the sad part is, he can really sing, and has a love of music. I guess not mine - lol. OK - that was probably a lot more than you wanted to know. But it's interesting to observe that I have to pursue my music in secret.... isn't that just sad? Iz

suziko

Fri May 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Izzy, that is really sad!

It has been interesting for me to read the different responses in this thread. For me, I'd say I fall somewhere in the middle. My husband is supportive of my guitar playing, but I wouldn't say he's particularly interested in it. He doesn't ask me what I'm working on, or how a song is going, but if I bring up the subject, he's happy to listen. He doesn't ask me to play for him, but he also doesn't mind listening if I ask him if I CAN play for him. The problem is that I'm not naturally comfortable playing for someone, so if I'm not asked I just won't do it. Most of the time I go off by myself and play, or play when no one is at home. I think Eric just isn't all that interested in music or guitar, so it's hard for him to naturally muster up tons of enthusiasm for the subject.

That's really one of the most rewarding things for me about this website- having the chance to interact with people who are as enthusiastic about guitar playing as I am.

Music Junkie

Fri May 14, 2010 3:10 pm

suziko wrote:
That's really one of the most rewarding things for me about this website- having the chance to interact with people who are as enthusiastic about guitar playing as I am.
Couldn't agree more...... B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic