When is it time to consider heavier gauge strings?

michelew

Sun May 16, 2010 6:38 am

I'm sure this is partly a matter of personal taste, but I'll ask anyway just in case there are some considerations I have thought of.

I currently use Elixir Nanoweb 11s on my steel string. To date these have provided me with a good balance of sound and ease of play. However, I starting to become a little dissatisfied with the sound (too tinny - maybe my ear is developing) and I'm accidentally bending some notes. It is mostly the first 2 strings that I'm experiencing both of these things with.

So I've been wondering whether a time might come soon when I should consider going up to 12s. I don't think I'm ready yet, primarily because I'm still building sufficient strength in my hand to barre cleanly every time. But, I think I might just get there in the next 6 months.

I don't want to make things harder for myself. But, I also don't want to limit my playing and the sound I can get out of my Yamaha.

So I guess I'm putting these questions to you experienced players. How long did you play on light gauge strings before you went to medium? And how long had you been able to play barre chords without trouble. I'd be especially interested in hearing from women players. I think guys have an advantage in this department being naturally stronger to begin with.

Is there a natural progress to heavier gauge strings? And if so, how do you know when you've gotten there?

Also, is there an optimum string gauge for fingerpicking (which I favour - just in case you hadn't noticed). Or is this also dependent on personal preference and the guitar itself?

There are probably other issues that I haven't considered, so I'd welcome any other wisdom you have on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

Michele

waggis

Sun May 16, 2010 6:50 am

Excellent question Michele. I agree with you 110% that the Elixir Nanoweb 11's sound tinny and bend too easily. I am currently using Elixir Polyweb 12's but its not much better. I'm ready to try new strings, so it will be interesting to hear from the other.

David

dennisg

Sun May 16, 2010 8:19 am

Michele,

This is an interesting question and, being a Taylor owner, I can only answer it from a Taylor perspective with things I've learned in a forum geared specifically for Taylor players.

First, all Taylor Grand Concert (X12) and Grand Auditorium (X14)-sized guitars use light-gauge strings and somehow manage to avoid sounding tinny. Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor/Bronze light-gauge are the strings recommended by Taylor.

Next, I'm sitting here looking at a package for Elixir Nanoweb Lights, and the high E string is a 12, not an 11. So I'm thinking that you're using Custom Lights and not Lights. The Customs are even lighter than the Lights. So, try moving up to Lights, not Mediums. I think you'll get what you want.

Finally, and this is something I've only recently learned, guitars are built to accommodate a specific-gauge string. Take my Taylor 814, for example. Taylor recommends light-gauge strings because the top of the guitar is slightly thinner than is the top on a guitar that's built for medium-gauge strings, the bracing is designed for the type of string tension produced by light-gauge strings, and the neck is set up for light string tension. According to Taylor, you can put medium-gauge strings on a guitar designed for lights, but the guitar's top will frequently be over-driven, resulting in muddy sound. And you'd need to have the neck reset due to the greater string tension.

The tip-off for me was when you mentioned that you're unintentionally bending some notes. (I only wish I could easily bend notes with my light-gauge strings.) I don't think that'll be a problem for you when you swap out the Custom Lights with Lights.

Hope this helps.

heyjoe

Sun May 16, 2010 8:23 am

Michele

From what you are saying about barre chords and building your hand strength, i would think that going for a larger guage string at the moment wouldn't be beneficial.

While there are positives to using heavier strings, there are also negatives- heavier strings more often than not require stronger hands to hold them down, and to bend them.
Also, your guitar may need adjusting, as the strings will put a heavier strain on the guitar.

There may be a simpler, and easier solution to your dissatisfaction- why not try a different makes of strings, but the same guage as you use now. I've tried different makes over the years, and the tonal variations can be quite surprising

Joe

MarkM

Sun May 16, 2010 8:34 am

Michele,

You've gotten some good advice here. Dennis had a good reccomendation on the lights instead of custom lights. As he stated, different guitars (body shapes) are what drive the different guitar strings. Before changing out the size of the strings I would change to a different type. I use Medium Elixir Phosphor Bronze instead of the normal 80/20's because I was after a warmer/fuller sound. I do agree that you should probably to go lights instead of custome lights. From what I can tell you are more than ready for that.

MarkM

Lavallee

Sun May 16, 2010 9:00 am

Here is a repair guitar website which discussed strings replacement. Look at their opinion in the last paragraph (Mark you will like it). It concurs with what Dennis said as well. It also have all kind of repairs and modifications (without being specific on how, but it gives an idea)

Marc

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringchoice.htm

AndyT

Sun May 16, 2010 2:43 pm

The fact that you are bending notes without meaning to is the clue here.
Your finger strength is where it should be. I think your twchnique needs to be refined a bit. Teach your fingers to lift up from the strings and not slide sideways off of them. That's the main point.
As far as sound tinny, well, that's mostly personal preference. Like others have said, try different strings and see what you get. Going to a string too big for the guitar is not good at all.

BigBear

Sun May 16, 2010 3:36 pm

Michele- I don't think there is any magic moment or epiphany about when to go to heavier guage strings. I do believe that .011's are too light for most acoustics but they are sure fun to play.

I recently was getting some very slight buzzing on my Larrivee, which is my main fingerstyle guitar. The repair tech suggested I go from .012 to .013 strings which sit just slightly higher in the nut slot. Bingo! It worked perfectly! And I don't notice much difference in playability since I don't bend a lot with this guitar.

My point is, if your guitar is set up for .011's and you go heavier gauge, it may change your setup slightly. Like many have said, your perception of "tinniness" means that your current strings are probably too light. It's pretty tough to get the most out of an acoustic with real light guage strings.

I'd give .012's a try and see if you like them. If you don't hear a sonic difference or you see too much difference in playability, you can always go back to the .011's.

Good question Michele!

Cheers! :cheer:

Yamaha48

Sun May 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Hello Michele.

I play now fore a litle 3years guitar.
My Yamaha APX900 have 012 strings on it.
Standard with Ddario Phroser Bronze.
I try fore the first time the Elixer 012.
My first set whas Polyweb.
The problem become when litle pieces broke from the trings.
The string played verry smooth with barr chords.
Now i have the Nanoweb from Elixer.
Not broken pieces from the strings now.
My Ovation guitar have Elixer strings 011,not a rich and warm sound.
Ovation have a own sound.

gr Anton

when

michelew

Sun May 16, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks everyone. That's all great information. I've just put these string on, but when I'm ready to change I'll be trying 12s of some variety. In the meantime I'll try and do barre chord boot camp so I'm ready.

Waggis - lots to take on board for you too.

Andy - The bend I'm mostly bending while doing a pull off in Here Comes the Sun. Most of the time I'm releasing chords/notes properly I think.

Dennis - I'll keep the guitar itself in mine too. I'll need to do some research on my Yamaha, but I don't think it is as finely tuned as a X12 or X14 (oh now I'm dreaming again).

Marc - thanks for the link, a very informative site.

Joe - If it becomes too hard I'll take your suggestion and just try a different string/same gauge.

Mark - I have some Phosphor/Bronze strings in the cupboard. I got them when I was first starting. They were bright, but I found that the brightness faded too quickly. The gauge was too heavy for me at the time. But these are 80/20s from Fender. I'll check out the Elixirs. Your guitar sure sounds nice.

Rick - as you suggestion if it doesn't work out I can go back to 11s. I played some campfire songs today and was getting too much buzz too. I have a guitar repair guy if I need him.

Anton - Thanks for the comparison.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be trying a few things when these strings are finished.

I hope you all have a great day/evening.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic