amp settings help

yecats1976

Mon May 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Hello, i am a baby beginner and wanted to try and learn Dirty Diana. What types of amp settings do you recommend? i've scrolled through all of them and nothing really sounds like how i think the song does?
my amp is a peavey that i paid about 100 at the guitar center.
i have a gibson, les paul goddess.
Thanks!

sws626

Tue May 25, 2010 1:24 am

Hello Yecats,

I read in an interview with Steve Stevens somewhere that he played an Ernie Ball/Musicman EVH model on this song -- that's a guitar with dual humbucker pickups, so you'll probably want to start with something similar, which I see you have.

I'd not registered this song befroe, but from a quick listen it sounds like a lot of similarly overdriven guitar of the Billy Idol albums. I don't think he uses any effects. So just cranking up the volume up to 11 and scooping out the midrange should get you pretty close. Stevens likes to talk about his gear, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding out more by googling him.

-Stuart

BigBear

Tue May 25, 2010 1:26 am

I'm not real familiar with that song but the first part is pretty clean with just some overdrive and chorus. When the lead breaks out there is some serious crunch going on ie. distortion and overdrive.

A small amp like yours, even if it has pretty good digital modelling, will have a tough time replicating the overdrive you hear in that song. You can try getting a dedicated crunch pedal with both distortion and overdrive or you may need to get a more powerful amp. An effects pedal may not give you much more than you have now. Many people end up pretty disappointed with a small amp because they want to get that big, heavy distortion/compression sound and it just isn't there.

I play my Les Paul through a small Roland CUBE amp and it does okay but no one will ever confuse it with a big Marshall or Peavey stack.

If you are just beginning it is far better to become a good guitarist first and worry about the special effects later.

Good luck and have fun! :cheer:

cosmicmechanic

Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am

Interesting remarks ... worthy of attention ... from maybe wild out (sws626) to more specific (BigBear). Or maybe we should pick oil off of the East Coast with popsicle sticks ... NO JOKE, BUT MY IDEA!

sws626

Tue May 25, 2010 2:35 am

I agree with Bear's comments, except that you can get good distortion from a small tube amp if you crank it up. I'm just learning and experimenting with this myself, but will post some examples when I have a better sense of what I'm doing.

BigBear

Tue May 25, 2010 2:25 pm

sws626 wrote:
I agree with Bear's comments, except that you can get good distortion from a small tube amp if you crank it up. I'm just learning and experimenting with this myself, but will post some examples when I have a better sense of what I'm doing.

That's true, but the operative word is "tube amp". Most small digital amps try hard but that crunch sound, especially at low volume, is just not enough for me.

A really great tube amp that's on my list of guitar gear that I don't need; but really want is a Blackheart Amp Mini Giant. It uses only two really good tubes and has a 3 and 5 amp switch but the sound is truly amazing and all for under $400!!

sws626

Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 am

BigBear wrote:
sws626 wrote:

That's true, but the operative word is "tube amp". Most small digital amps try hard but that crunch sound, especially at low volume, is just not enough for me.

A really great tube amp that's on my list of guitar gear that I don't need; but really want is a Blackheart Amp Mini Giant. It uses only two really good tubes and has a 3 and 5 amp switch but the sound is truly amazing and all for under $400!!
Hi Bear,

I'm on the road for the next two weeks, but will post some samples when I get home of the sort of sounds I'm getting out of my slightly modified Blackheart B5H5. I'm getting some good results at reasonable volumes on songs like Cinnamon Girl and I Want You.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic