when will you never play or practice your guitar,,,

willem

Tue May 25, 2010 2:22 pm

just curious..what you add

well i,,when i'm tired and can not put the energy to it.. Image

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Nice forehand Willem, just get a little more top spin on that and you'll be beating Neil hands down!

As for when I don't play the guitar... like you, when my energy is low I just can't pick up the guitar. It's interesting, playing gives me tremendous energy, but I have to have a certain level of good energy to play ... or everything sounds awful and I feel I'm useless! So right now there's no chance as I've just got home from a hard days coach on court and need some veg-out time in front of the TV. I did get half an hour of good practice in earlier today so I'm ahead!

willem

Tue May 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Being tired is very common and i can imagine there are other things,,,example..to many noises around you...

cosmicmechanic

Tue May 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Willem, I gave up regular practice evenings after work because my mental battery is pretty much drained then. I started getting up early to practice, and since then there are very few "bad" practice sessions, since my concentration is better at the start of the day.

The end result so far is that these days I get between 1 hour to 1 hour 45 minutes practice in 3 or 4 weekday mornings a week, and I find that habit has gradually spilled out all over the place. I am tempted to compare it to a certain oil slick we are concerned about, except that is not dark and gooey, but quite uplifting.

Pierre

tovo

Tue May 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Same as Pierre, I get up early and practice with no distractions. There's a big difference between practice with total focus and playing with things happening around you, holding conversations etc. But I'm not answering the question.

I play when I am happy, depressed, angry, sad, content, reflective, etc, etc. The guitar helps in all those situations (Not so much when angry but it can take my mind of what is bothering me).

When I'm tired, I don't try to learn anything new, but will still play stuff to practice.

The guitar is my doctor.

hasben

Tue May 25, 2010 6:26 pm

I am not as disiplined as Tony or Pierre. I just play when the mood hits and don't when I don't feel like it. But, hey, I am retired and have no reason or motive to take on another job. :) As to the quality of my sessions, they come and go and I try not to stress over it. Just trying to enjoy the moment.

thereshopeyet

Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks

haoli25

Wed May 26, 2010 1:56 am

Like most of us, my time is at a premium too, but I still find time to play everyday. Like Tony, for me its probably more therapy than music. Its a good way to combat stress and to just clear my mind. I never play when other people are around. At this point in my life my time with my guitar is just for me.

Bill

thereshopeyet

Wed May 26, 2010 4:56 am

Thanks

MarkM

Wed May 26, 2010 9:05 am

Good topic. When do I play/practice? Just about everyday in the home office when I can find a few minutes to spare. Like Tony and others, it doesn't matter what mood I'm in or if I'm feeling good or sick I'll pick up the guitar and at the very least noodle around a bit. Usually I'll play one or two songs at a time unitl I'm comfortable with learning them to a reasonable degree. I find that for me I can get that song down quicker. It's a bit obsessive though. :laugh: :laugh: As for when I don't play it is usually when I travel for work. Anywhere from an overnight trip to a week at a time. The other time I won't play is when the guitar is just sounding like crap for whatever reason that day. Could be my playing, my ear, humidity, etc. Ususally because I'm just sucking that day so it goes away.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic