Clever Ideas for Keeping Track of Riffs, Licks and FIlls?

BigBear

Fri May 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Probably like most of you I have a 3-ring binder of my "best stuff". I take it with me everywhere I go, even to bed! lol! It has 40-50 songs that I can play pretty well and would not be embarrassed to play in front of my Golden Retrievers or in-laws. But I certainly don't have them all perfectly memorized.

My book has expanded trememndously since I joined TARGET. Neil often demonstrates a riff, lick or fill that makes the song much more interesting. Can you imagine playing Paint it Black or Brown Eyed Girl or Cats in the Cradle without their intros?

So the rub is, how do you keep track of all those RLFs (I think Neil calls them ILFs) if all you use are the chord and lyric charts? Or even exotic chords that are unique to a particular song? Using the GP tabs takes too much space in the book and is hard to read in the dark.

I've tried writing notes in the margins (sloppy), cutting and pasting from Guitar Pro (very cumbersome and time consumming, and any other means I can think of.

Anybody have this challenge or come up with a cool idea for how to track this? I have Chris' excellent "Best Stuff" book and I can tell I am not the only one trying to keep track of this stuff!

Thanks for any ideas! :cheer:

sws626

Sat May 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi Bear,

I've been thinking about your question for a couple of days, but don't have any great ideas. I keep a little moleskine notebook, much like yours. I try to put in enough information to jar my memory. It works, but has its limitations. This is one area where perhaps an iPad -- or, more likely, a netbook that can run GP -- would come in handy.

-Stuart

p.s. What's Chris' book?

BigBear

Sat May 29, 2010 3:59 pm

sws626 wrote:
Hi Bear,

I've been thinking about your question for a couple of days, but don't have any great ideas. I keep a little moleskine notebook, much like yours. I try to put in enough information to jar my memory. It works, but has its limitations. This is one area where perhaps an iPad -- or, more likely, a netbook that can run GP -- would come in handy.

-Stuart

p.s. What's Chris' book?
Thanks Stuart! I was thinking of a netbook, too. Something smaller than a laptop. An iPad would be fun as well but don't have the dinero for either right now.

I don't want to speak for Chris but he has a terrific notebook of some great old songs, photos etc. It is much more interesting than mine and he has some tabs I didn't have. Maybe PM him about it?

Cheers! :cheer:

d_dog

Sat May 29, 2010 7:05 pm

If only someone would create a TG iPhone/iPad app that would pull in and encompass the video lessons along the tab sheets. Oh that would be sweet!

AcousticAl

Sun May 30, 2010 7:12 am

Hey Bear,

I saw something a few weeks ago- can't remember if it was on TG or not. I don't know if I can post here, so I'll pm Matt to inquire. Will post if able.

**Edit-- It WAS on TG, so here's the thread. It's called itab. Looks pretty cool to me.
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/13- ... itab#47212

BigBear

Sun May 30, 2010 7:13 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Hey Bear,

I saw something a few weeks ago- can't remember if it was on TG or not. I don't know if I can post here, so I'll pm Matt to inquire. Will post if able.

**Edit-- It WAS on TG, so here's the thread. It's called itab. Looks pretty cool to me.
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/13- ... itab#47212

Thanks Al! That's a really cool idea. I'll have to watch this and see how it is received by the general public. Man, there is an app for everything isn't there? lol! I'm gettin' old!! :cheer:

haoli25

Sun May 30, 2010 10:48 pm

BigBear wrote:
Man, there is an app for everything isn't there? lol! I'm gettin' old!! :cheer:

I'm pretty sure there is an app for that too. I think it's called 'iAge'. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic