TOVO - Only 19 (A walk in the Light Green) - An Australian tune

wrench

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:23 pm

That was a beautiful, beautiful piece, Tony. You very much made it yours, and you did a great job with it. A magnificent tribute to Brothers In Arms.

Dan

tovo

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks very much Dan, I really appreciate those kind comments.

BigBear

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Tony- WOW! Great song but filled with immense pain and sorry. It's a perfect song for your voice. Who wrote it?

Australia has been one of the US's stauchest allies since the beginning (when the Commonwealth was formed in 1901). For my American friends the recent Tom Hanks/ Steven Speilberg special "The Pacific" dealt with the special relationship the US had with Australia during WWII. Australia was right by our side in the Korean War and the Vietnam War as well. Their military is widely regarded as one of the toughest and bravest of all modern forces.

Thanks for that song Tony, it was really beautiful!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks Bear, I'm so glad you liked it. The song was written by a fellow named John Schumann who fronted a folk band called Redgum. He wrote the song based largely on the experiences of his Brother in Law. The extended title "A Walk in the Light Green" is a reference to how maps were marked for operations, dark green for heavy jungle, good cover, few mines, to light greeen for not much cover and heaps of mines.

All proceeds of this song, royalties and the like, have always been donated to the Vietnam Veterans Association. The guy is a class act.

Yamaha48

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:41 am

Hello my friend.

That sounds perfect,and a lot off feeling from you self.
Thats make a good performens,i mean playing with emotion.
Thanks fore sharing this good work.

greetz Anton

dekotaj

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 am

Bravo!!Tony,

YES,MAY WE NEVER FORGET!!!

Kevin

tovo

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks very much Anton, it's an easy song to do with feeling.

Kevin thanks mate, I'd love to think we have learned enough not to repeat something like Vietnam, but we are slow learners eh!

Just generally, I'm so happy that you guys seem to have received this well. I thought perhaps you would all be scratching your heads or not keen to listen to a song on this subject. Thanks all very much.

BobR

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi Tony,

I'm sorry I missed this post until now. You played with real emotion that came through in the story.
I had a few friends go to Vietnam and fortunatley they all returned.

Makes you think,
Bob

tovo

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi Bob. No problem mate, I am always very grateful for comments and support. This one was a little indulgent, just a tune I wanted to share with you all rather that one posted for review and assistance, but I still so appreciate the feedback and encouragement.

The support of the community here at TG, the feedback and encouragement is in my opinion the best thing about the site. Without that what have you got?

Thanks Bob.

rapsidy

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:08 am

Hey Tony i found it eventually, man you made me work hard for this :P

wow! i have heard this song when i was younger so i am familiar with it, its not a song to listen to over an over, you need to be in that mood.

But I can say i only have listened to like a song before and didnt pay too much attention to it. Your version allowed me to listen to it properly for the first time and boy those are some powerful lyrics, i had goose bumps when you sang of the man getting blown up who was going home in june. You could actually picture what is happening in that song. You can see it has great meaning to you and you carried it off well.

very heart felt and i was touched, thanks

Brad

p.s i didnt even know it was an australian song or who sung it, but it is a dam good song. Probably because chisel got all the headlines for vietnam songs?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic