TOVO - Only 19 (A walk in the Light Green) - An Australian tune

tovo

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:55 am

Some time ago, my good mate Anton posted a song in his native tongue. I was real impressed and thought it would be a good idea to do the same. After all, there have been questions asked about my claim to be Australian given I sing with quite an American accent apparently!

Anyway, this song is about a fellow's journey through the Vietnam war. It's not a protest song, nor a political statement, it's just 1 man's account of the horror of war. It's by a band called Redgum, and was hugely popular when it was released around 30 years ago. Australia fought in the Vietnam war, I lost family like many of you would have. I sing it slower than the original, just a small effort to make it mine.

I didn't post this video for review, just (hopefully) for entertainment. I know you can't see my hands so I don't expect many comments on technique. Feel free of course, but as I said, it's just to share a very Australian song with you all.

I hope you like it. There's a couple of minor mistakes, but I doubt many of you know the song, so I can probably get away with them!

Some terminology for those interested:

Puckapunyal - A military training area in Victoria Australia. I did my tank training there
Canungra and Shoalwater - same, military training areas
Slouch hat, SLR and Greens - The famous Australian military hat, an SLR is a rifle, and greens are a jungle uniform
Chinooks - Army Helicopters
Dust off - A medical evacuation by helicopter
VB - An Australian Beer
Scrub - Australian term for Jungle
Tinnies - Beer in tins!
The ANZAC Legend - ANZAC is the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps
A 36 hour rec leave - What Americans call R&R

michelew

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:03 am

Mate that is up there in iconic Aussie song with 'Give me a home among the gum trees', 'Click goes the shears' and Waltzing Matilda'. Great job. The pretty fingerpciking arrangement emphasized the sadness of it. Great playing, very smooth and lovely singing. Your voice really suited the song. So which drongo was fooling with you when they tried to convince you that you sounded American?

tovo

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:12 am

Thanks Michele. I think the accent thing came up when I did a collaboration with Al on a Neil Young tune. If anything I should have sounded Canadian! Anyway, no doubt now...I come from a land down under.

willem

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:27 am

Hello TONY,,there you came out of the SCRUB,,Yeah only 19,,doing the 19old time he,, i was there to and drove a lorry and was happy it was over,,,i knew you would do a song like that,,nice steady pickin,,singin,well you tell the story and i even understand a bit,,and happy to see you back,,,how it's goin???

tovo

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:32 am

Hey Willem I'm good mate. Thanks for the nice comments, glad you could translate some of the song. lol. My last visit to Vietnam was definitely a more pleasant experience than yours I would say! Cheers Willem.

reiver

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:25 am

Hi Tony - well done on this song, mate. Like most non-Aussies, I assume, this is new to me so I can't compare it with anything - but that's no bad thing. I thought you played it really well - solid picking - and as always your voice sounded great. Great job.

S

Lavallee

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:39 am

tovo wrote:
Thanks Michele. I think the accent thing came up when I did a collaboration with Al on a Neil Young tune. If anything I should have sounded Canadian! Anyway, no doubt now...I come from a land down under.
Tony, you did a great performance with that song that I thank you for introducing to me. By the way I am Canadian and I do not find that you have the same accent as me :laugh:

You have a warm voice and this song which reminded me of a song from Bert Jansch who sang Black waterside ( which Led zeppelin "borrowed"). I found very similar tonality

great video

Marc

dennisg

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:32 am

Fantastic, Tony! What a haunting melody that song has -- and you played and sang it perfectly. I'm envious of that arpeggiated picking you do. Aside from that, it was good to hear a song that unleashed your Aussie accent.

pbraun

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:59 am

Nice job Tony, the playing and singing was great. That song has a powerful message in it, whether it's polictical or not, it is quite a haunting story of war.
Pete

wammer

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 am

Tony

Haunting but beautiful. Straight from the heart I could tell, Its amazing that a song that means so much to you can be played soooooooooo easily. Nice on you mate...Eh!!!!LOL

Hope this wee note finds you well.

Tammy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic