Thought on frequent occurance; Flub ups when playing before others

michelew

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:54 am

Performance anxiety, playing in front of people, recording myself... not a problem; IN MY DREAMS.

My nervousness and performance anxiety has improved out of sight since I started posting here. But, it is still there big time and that is in a situation where I know I can just keep recording until I have a performance that I am happy enough to post. I can play in front of my partner and daughter when I think they're not really listening, but I'm too much of a 'scaredie cat' to play in front of people when they come over.

I'd like to be able to be fearless about it at some point. I'll keep practicing.

I've found that the best way to overcome my performance nerve when trying to record something is to have played the song so much that it goes into my muscle memory; so your hands just about play it without you having to think about it. My brain always gets distracted, or goes blank, or starts to think things like "this is going really well this could be the one I post' and then my heart races and I'm even more likely to make a mistake that is big. Playing in automatic doesn't eliminate this, but it helps a lot.

So I assume that playing in front of an audience is the same. I imagine it is easier when others are playing too. At least I used to find that as a kid when I played clarinet in a youth orchestra. Or maybe that was just the confidence that comes with being a teenager.

Good thread. It is nice to know that everyone else feels it too and that it can improve.

Michele

mark

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:10 am

michelew wrote:
I've found that the best way to overcome my performance nerve when trying to record something is to have played the song so much that it goes into my muscle memory; so your hands just about play it without you having to think about it. My brain always gets distracted, or goes blank, or starts to think things like "this is going really well this could be the one I post' and then my heart races and I'm even more likely to make a mistake that is big. Playing in automatic doesn't eliminate this, but it helps a lot.
I know exactly what you mean, I've actually thought something similar but different while playing to the video recorder.
I've actually thought "this is going too well, if I don't start making mistakes everybody is going to get a false impression of how good I am".
This is normally followed by something going really wrong. Just goes to show that you should be carefull what you wish for.

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:39 pm

I used to get extremly nervous about playing solo in front of others, and yup all the flubs came along. However, when I started jamming with a few guys (that was also difficult to start with) it got easier now i'm no longer extremly nervous ... just nervous lol. I have a guitar at work and I play it now and then and sometimes I don't play any particular tune just a few chord progressions so no tune no real flubs, I found that helps. I don't think I will ever get to the stage I don't experience nerves, but thats not a bad thing I think it gives you an edge. KNowing the song very well is key though.

mcfingers

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:15 pm

After listening to all of your thoughts I would like to add a few of my own. I have two good friends, both of whom have played the guitar for ever. One has been in several local bands. He is still in one of them currently. He had his wife and I with mine attend a big music festival were we all volunteer to pay for our attendance. We play our guitars every night. He is very outgoing and confident.... to the point of almost being obnoxious. Maybe over zealous would be a better description, There isn't a song that he won't belt out. His voice is ok, but mostly just really loud. I am actually a better guitar player but I lack the confidence to go at it with all I've got like my friend. I guess my point is that some folks relish being the center of attention and even if they make a few mistakes they don't seem to let it slow them down. Others of us are more self conscious and we hold our selves back.... until we gain enough confidence and success. I don't think this applies only to music. Public speaking, instructing others, chairing a committee and you get the idea. Tovo nailed it. With practice and repetition come confidence. That is why this site is so great, well one of the reasons, it provides a safe environment for us all to wade out in the performance waters knowing that within this community we don't have to fear ridicule or be embarrassed about showing what we have learned or are learning.

Ooo, Sorry for rambling on for so long. Just my thoughts. Steve

My other friend is just great at playing and singing a million songs. We learned to play the guitar at the same time but he devoted way more time perfecting his skills. He plays professionally in local brew houses and Pubs. He does have a great voice and his playing is nearly flawless. But he developed his ease of preforming by preforming and preforming and preforming some more. Back to Tovo's observation again.

Cheers

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:12 pm

This afternoon I went to visit my neighbour, who is a good friend and was having a garage sale with a couple of her friends. I knew they were having a slow day, so I brought my guitar and little foldable seat I like to use for playing. I played for the fun of it as we gossiped and all of that.

My neighbour has played guitar a bit, so one thing I really enjoyed is that we were able to frankly discuss the errors I was making just because I was not playing alone, and the memory lapses also: I could have played many more tunes than I did, they just were not there! Of course, they were pleasantly surprised by what I could play (errors and all), and TG is an important part of that.

These are people I am at ease with, but as you know, even the presence of only a camera can ruin a performance if you are not past knowing that the problem is not shyness, or even nervousness, but a kind of self-consciousness that goes away by wear and tear.

Pierre

AndyT

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:22 pm

I'm actually a better player than I thought I was. LOL
I get so worried about making mistakes that I make twice as many when I'm in front of the camera. Notice the vids I've posted here. I play far and above what you see on those but the camera just messes with me for some reason.

I'm going to have to get past it though. So, I'll be setting a camera up in front of me and have it go on at random intervals during my practice. That way I can teach myself to forget about it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic