How many tunes are you working on?

tovo

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:31 pm

Not a new topic, but one that interests me and didn't think it was necessarily a bad one to revisit.

I tend to stick to the tune I am working on, playing pretty much nothing else. At the moment I have a "Main game" and just one other.

I've read many times TG members having 5-6 tunes on the go.

My question then is twofold. Is 5-6 tunes at a time realistic? Secondly, is it something that you gain capacity with as your experience grows? (The ability to effectively take on several songs at once?)

AndyT

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Tony,
Yes, No, No, Maybe, Uh-Huh, and WHAT?

LOL
Interesting question.
Right now, I'm not working on any Target songs except the first 5. I've got some fingerpicking irons in the fire and until I get them in better condition, that's my main focus.

But the better I get, the easier it is to learn a song. Not in detail mind you, but well enough to play along and provide rhythm for anyone. And the more I do, the more I can do.

tovo

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:09 pm

I agree Andy, as experience grows the songs become easier to get to a state where you can at least recognise the tune! Do you mean you are working on a 5 rated song..or 5 songs?

willem

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:32 pm

when i look over the whole week and then every day i practice 3-5 songs,,but i do segments and try to let the song grow,,i do strumming songs and fingerpickin and i think for the futer my taste go to instrumentals like ''here comes the sun''..

sws626

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Good question, Tony. I definitely feel like I'm making more progress when I'm working away obsessively on just one song until I've really got it down. I don't think I could actually "learn" 5 songs at once. But lately, I've been working on a song until I get it to some level of recognizability (maybe two or three days), then adding another. In that sense, I am working on about 5 songs now that I'm not fully satisfied with. To add a little bit of colour to the thread and to encourage others to share as well, here's what I'm working on:

Bell Bottom Blues
I Want You
Two of Us
Cinnamon Girl
Ohio

Each one would probably require a couple of weeks of concentrated effort, without the distraction of the others, to get to a level I'd feel comfortable sharing.

-Stuart

tovo

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Right Stewart too easy! Over the next 3 months (giving you some generous leeway here) I look forward to 5 videos from you! :)

leclercjm1

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi Tovo,
I'm working on 2 to 3 songs at the same time...now I should say because it hasen't have been alsways the case. Practicing one song helps me with the other. I have about 10 songs in My Favorites section. Lately I realize that, although I've been playing (learning) guitar for about 3 years, I do not play satisfactorily (hope it's the rignt word) even one song. That's why I tend to reduce the number of songs I work on. It's not easy on TG.
jm

KennyF

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Relax Guys...

It truly does become much easier as time goes by. There may come a time where some of you could find yourselves learning three sets of new music in a week or two. And I mean three sets of music that you've never even thought about playing before. No kidding.

Just keep doing what you're doing... Keep playing... I don't know how else to put it.

dennisg

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 pm

I've got four new songs going, although they bear no resemblance to anything recognizable.

BobR

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Tony,

Good topic. I tend to try too many I think. I need to focus more. It's just difficult for me when TG put's out so many songs I like(which is most of them).

Actually I am working on
While My Guitar Gently weeps _ BTW thanks everyone for the comments
The Loner
Cinnamon Girl
My MY Hey Hey
Two of Us
Heart of Gold
The Story In your eyes
Harvest Moon - I might get it some day
... see what I mean

I guess I like Neil Young :laugh:

Bob