How many tunes are you working on?

haoli25

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:18 pm

Thanks to Neil and Matt, I think I am working on about eleventyteen gazillion and will have all of them completed at the same time. :)

Bill

mcfingers

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:34 pm

I am sure that the number of songs you are working one at any one time is directly proportional to the number of years you've been playing and your level of proficiency.

I am working on some half learned songs from long ago. Thanks to Neil's lessons of those songs I can now tune them up and finish them. I am also working on several new songs and old songs that I can play but never bothered to learn the words. My current list includes.

These Days- Jackson Browne's Solo Acoustic Album version
Yesterday- Neil's solo guitar version
Streets of London
Anjie- Davy Graham
Let it Be
While my Guitar Gently Weeps- both versions
The Boxer
By My Song- Billy Dean
April Come She Will
Kathy's Song

to name a few.

tovo

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:51 pm

KennyF wrote:
Relax Guys...

It truly does become much easier as time goes by. There may come a time where some of you could find yourselves learning three sets of new music in a week or two. And I mean three sets of music that you've never even thought about playing before. No kidding.

Just keep doing what you're doing... Keep playing... I don't know how else to put it.
Kenny man...I'm loose as a goose!

haoli25

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:25 pm

How True! Image

heatndude

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:29 pm

Im currently working on five or six tunes. I find that I get tired of strumming so I switch to finger picking tunes. I struggle with the finger picking a lot for some reason. So I practice about 1 1/2 hours in the morning before work on songs then at night I work on techniques / theroy as time permits. So depending on what I have down pat and dont have down my song choices change frequently but I always come back to them when I learn something new and it makes it easier and sounds better. This way I keep challenging myself to learn new stuff. So far it seems to be working. I have about 12 songs I can play fairly well and adding about one song every two weeks now. A year ago it took about three months to get a level two song down now Im working on level 5 to 6 tunes trying to nail those darn bar chords.

Mark

BigBear

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Tony- I've got about ten songs that I have a red tab on meaning they are works in progress. That's too many, 5-6 would be about right. But Neil keeps launching these great songs! lol!

I try to work on about 50% TARGET songs and the rest, songs I have that I want to learn (like John Barleycorn or Mother Goose). The more I improve, the easier it is to go off the reservation.

I currently spend about 50% of my practice time working on playing lead and scale patterns. I'm finding the patterns are pretty easy once you memorize them and can move anywhere on the fretboard but making them sound musical is a HUGE challenge!! I have a jam disc that has 17 tunes in all different styles and keys that I play accompaniment to over and over. I hope it pays off in the end! But it's really cool to be able to accompany any song for which you know the key!! My next step is chord soloing which will push me back into theory pretty hard.

Cheers! :cheer:

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:21 pm

I've come into a bit of a reality-check as to what I'm able to absorb in the short-term.

I'm now developing two very different tunes that are not yet quite musical: "Streets of London" (6 months and counting!) and "Green River" (1 month).

Besides that, I'm getting better at maybe three newer songs that are at varying degrees of being musical: "Harvest" (ok), "Old Man" (ok), "Long Cool Woman" (so-so).

Then there are maybe a dozen other tunes to rotate in order to maintain them.

Short answer: I'm working on five tunes (relatively speaking). Can we make that a definite "maybe"?

Pierre

michelew

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm probably working on 4 or 5 songs at once most of the time. Of those I'm generally working on 1 or 2 seriously. When I'm almost ready to post something I generally work on it exclusively until it's memorised, the kinks are mostly worked out and it almost becomes automatic. I find that the only way to overcome my performance nerves is to play the song I want to post a gazillion times until the muscle memory kicks in. That way when my mind wonders as it always does my hands are still playing. Sometimes it takes a week or more, which was the case with the last 2 posts.

When I'm starting to learn a new hard song, I find that I also need other songs that I can play more easily to balance the frustration.

I've been trying to stay focussed and not start too many new things at once. It allows me to learn complete songs.

Now that I've just posted a song, I'm planning to review my learning list.

Good thread Tony.

Michele

AndyT

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:02 am

Tony,
I meant Neils First 5 beginner lessons. LOL
But as of today I was told I have to be ready to play something for a Meet and Greet coming next Friday. So for the next 8 days, I'll be playing one somg over and over and over and over.....

Music Junkie

Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:12 am

Tony:

I wish I could focus on a single song til I get it down, but that is just not my style. I feel that I need a small variety to keep things interesting. I usually work on 4-5 songs at once. I kind of cycle through them each night, or work on one til I get a bit frustrated and then move on to another. Sometimes taking a break from a song for a day or two can be helpful to me. I may set one aside and work on some others. Then when I come back to the frustrating song, it is not so frustrating anymore. Not sure why..... Either my head has a chance to clear a bit, or I see something differently, or maybe a technique in one of the other songs helps me out with it.

Currently I am working on:

Til' the Day I Die
From the Beginning (been working on this one off and on for a loooonnnggg time....lol)
My My Hey Hey
Indigo Passion
Southern Cross

All have there fun parts, and all have there frustrating parts. Good for a laugh on some nights..... B)

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic