Stupid question amnesty

willem

Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:42 am

The hollow body of the guitar ampflifly's the sound,,that why they make(on a certain moment) big ones,to get more volume,look at ages ago to orkestra's with 10 big guitars,,after inventing ampliflyers the get fired,,,

I play my electric guitar in my acoustic room,,my room have a nice acoustic..i throu out everything (so its hollow) and have a wooden floor,,,

wrench

Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:59 am

Michele,

Your Yamaha is a
Dreadnought - body shape
steel string - string material
acoustic - primary method of sound generation
So you were right on all three counts.

Chris,
Folk - any guitar on which Folk music is commonly played, or a guitar described as follows.

Nearly every popular guitar is derived from the Torres Classical, from which the Folk is only once removed. As far as I know, only the pedal steel uses no part of Torres' design.

I'll keep this short because I think I actually could write a small book on this, as I have been studying guitar design, manufacture, and analyzing their sounds for about six months now.

Antonio de Torres Jurado was the Spanish craftsman who most successfully produced the best sounding classical guitars. Torres was not a scientist or engineer, but he had a keen tactile sense, and intuitively knew when a guitar sounded just right. He did however, generate a set of body dimensions and bracing patterns to produce the best sound for the classical guitar, which were so successful that nearly all non-Classical guitars are derived from that design, and the deviations are for some specific purpose, such as the powerful dreadnought body. Classical guitars are small and thin, and of the size some manufacturers call "OO". Today's Classical guitars are still of Torres' body dimensions.

A Classical guitar has nylon strings. In the very early 20th century, C.F. Martin put steel strings on a Classical body, thus making the first steel-string Classical guitar. Martin's major contribution here was developing the X-bracing that enables the Classical body to tolerate the string tension. By some manufacturers' definitions, a 12th fret steel-string Classical guitar is named as such, and a Folk guitar is a 14th fret Steel-String Classical guitar. For some examples of these guitars, see the Takamine New Yorker or the Seagull Folk.

I'll spare you the sound analysis of these guitars, but I will tell you I was jaw-dropping speechless stunned on analyzing a Seagull Folk.

Dan

dennisg

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

The way I look at it is that the general category is Guitar. Acoustic is a subset of Guitar. Steel String is a subset of Acoustic. Dreadnought is a subset of Steel String. Charting it, from general to specific, looks like this:

Guitar > Acoustic > Steel String > Dreadnought

None of the above terms are synonyms, although if you use the word Dreadnought, it implies a steel string guitar. If you use the term Steel String, it implies an acoustic guitar.

tom18

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Dennis,
You've done for guitars what Carl Linnaeus did for biology (Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species)!
Tom

dennisg

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Funny, that very thing occurred to me: King Phillip Came Over For Good Spaghetti.

hasben

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 pm

dennisg wrote:
Funny, that very thing occurred to me: King Phillip Came Over For Good Spaghetti.
Gee, Dennis, I wish somebody had told me that acronym years ago! Question, now that we are playing-- what is this acronym a reference for: "On Old Olympus Towering Top, A Finn And German Shared Some Hops?" First person to answer correctly gets an honorary dental degree, or can have mine-- I'm through with it. :laugh:

dennisg

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 pm

hasben wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Gee, Dennis, I wish somebody had told me that acronym years ago! Question, now that we are playing-- what is this acronym a reference for: "On Old Olympus Towering Top, A Finn And German Shared Some Hops?" First person to answer correctly gets an honorary dental degree, or can have mine-- I'm through with it. :laugh:
I don't want your dental degree, but do you have any nitrous oxide left over?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Good infos Dan. You're really into guitars right now, eh!

Dennis and Fred, just don't ask me what WTFATTOFOA means! You guys making me feel I'm back in school... ;-)

michelew

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:37 pm

dennisg wrote:
The way I look at it is that the general category is Guitar. Acoustic is a subset of Guitar. Steel String is a subset of Acoustic. Dreadnought is a subset of Steel String. Charting it, from general to specific, looks like this:

Guitar > Acoustic > Steel String > Dreadnought

None of the above terms are synonyms, although if you use the word Dreadnought, it implies a steel string guitar. If you use the term Steel String, it implies an acoustic guitar.
Dennis, between you, Rick and Dan you've all really nailed this query for me. Thank guys.

Gee for a dumb question that generated a good discussion.

ta

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic